Academic Specialist, Athletics #497860
Posting DetailsPosting Number20111997Position TitleAcademic Specialist, Athletics #497860FTE1.00Position TypeStaffDepartmentAthletic AcademicsJob Summary/Basic Function
Assists the Associate Athletics Director with coordinating programs to ensure compliance with all University, Southland Conference and NCAA rules and regulations governing the intercollegiate athletics operation, with a primary focus on academics for student-athletes.
1.Advises and assists student-athletes in selecting major course of study, selecting courses, changing majors, adding and dropping class, and developing effective study habits.
2.Monitors students’ degree plans; evaluates transcripts and maintains academic records; monitors class attendance and student progress
3.Monitors academic eligibility compliance with NCAA, Southland Conference, and Lamar University policies.
4.Maintains records on student-athletes.
5.Assists the Associate Athletics Director with updating academic information in NCAA Compliance Assistant Software.
6.Assists the Associate Athletics Director with the review of transcripts and eligibility requirements for prospective student-athletes.
7.Compiles necessary documentation for academic eligibility each semester.
8.Recognizes and promotes the best interest of the student-athletes both academically and athletically.
9.Assists the Associate Athletics Director and Coaches in the process of recruiting prospective student-athletes.
* Bachelor’s degree required
* Working knowledge of Banner, NCAA
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite required
Strict adherence to established NCAA, Southland Conference, Texas State University System and Lamar University rules and regulations. A violation of these rules and regulations can lead to disciplinary action including termination.
Reports Directly to the: Associate Athletics Director
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Preferred Qualifications
* Master’s degree preferred
* 1-2 years athletic academic advising experience preferred
* Working knowledge of NCAA rules preferred
* Compliance Assistant and Navigate preferred
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.SalaryCommensurateWork Hours Posting Date09/08/2020Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial InstructionsPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- * What is the highest level of education have you achieved?
- * In what area(s) did you receive your degree(s).
(Open Ended Question)
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * Which of the following best describes your level of knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations?
- Expert: I can instruct others on the specific aspects of the rules and regs.
- Substantial: I can apply the rules under the majority of situations encountered without referring to the manuals.
- Moderate: I can apply the rules in routine situations, and refer to the manual for guidance on non-typical circumstances.
- Limited: I refer frequently to the manual for guidance on how to apply the rules.
- No knowledge: I have no knowledge of NCAA Rules.
- Letter of Interest
- Official Transcript 1
- Official Transcript 2