Software Engineer I
Posting DetailsJob TitleSoftware Engineer IDepartmentOpenStaxFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS21078Open Date09/04/2020Close Date09/18/2020Salary Information
$51,600 to $68,400 annuallyWork Schedule
- Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. central time
- Additional hours may be required during evening and weekends to meet deadlines
OpenStax is a non-profit textbook publisher, learning software producer, and platform for learning research based at Rice University. Our mission is to provide every student with free or low-cost access to high-quality learning materials and tools that help them succeed in their education and career. We have created a library of 29 free and openly licensed college textbooks that have served 6.2 million students, resulting in $576 million dollars in savings. We have created software to help college students in three of those subjects read with more engagement and practice more effectively, incorporating our research team’s expertise in cognitive science and machine learning.
The software engineer I is responsible for writing software to restructure textbook HTML and to style that HTML for various book output formats, including PDF and multiple web-accessible formats. The CSS used is complex, often involving W3C specifications that are still working drafts. Visual design experience is as important as technical proficiency; developers must be able to reproduce designs accurately. Creative problem solving and collaboration are required.
In addition to writing code, this position requires someone who is capable of balancing multiple projects, working as part of multiple project teams simultaneously, communicating with non-technical content developers, reviewing and authoring documentation related to textbook development, analyzing content to ensure that it is adequate for testing, troubleshooting and debugging template code and content, as well as reviewing and merging code written by other developers.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
- May substitute experience gained during a technical boot camp program on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the required education
- Strong experience with HTML5
- Strong expertise in CSS2 and CSS3
- Experience using CSS pre-compilers such as Less
- Experience with Ruby
- Experience with GitHub
NoneLicense/Certification PreferredSkills Required
- Knowledge of existing and new software and design standards
- Basic ability to define and solve logical problems for technical applications
- Basic knowledge and ability to use a variety of programming methods
- CSS for Paged Media
- Able to balance multiple projects and able to work as part of multiple project teams simultaneously
- Skill in communicating with non-technical content developers
Internal: Frequent contact with members of the Rice University community, including faculty, staff, and students
External: Frequent contact with vendors, partners and/or outside resourcesPhysical Demands
Requires working at a computer for extended periods (up to eight hours per day).Working Conditions
- Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. central standard time
- Additional hours may be required during evening and/or weekends to meet deadlines
- This position is expected to be remote as needed in response to university needs and will be required to equip a home office including secure, high speed internet
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24459Essential Functions
- Assesses user needs and requirement
- Designs and develops basic applications
- Assists in maintaining and updating existing programs
- Assists in creating programs that meet reporting and analysis needs
- Documents changes in the software
- Follows team software development methodology
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree or additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement?
- * Have you ever completed a technical boot camp program? If yes, please provide the name AND the length of the program.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Have you ever worked with HTML5 and complex CSS? If yes, please describe your work.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please provide the salary or range that you would require or consider for this position.
(Open Ended Question)