Rice 360° UNILAG Innovation Design Studio Coordinator
Posting DetailsJob TitleRice 360° UNILAG Innovation Design Studio CoordinatorDepartmentRice 360° Institute for Global HealthFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS21086Open Date09/02/2020Close Date09/30/2020Salary Information
$32,800 – $50,900Work Schedule
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., occasional evening or weekend work related to projects as required.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeNoPosition Summary
The Rice 360° Institute for Global Health develops highly effective, low-cost healthcare solutions that address critical public healthcare needs in low-resource communities, as well as a cadre of future leaders to continue to innovate and implement solutions. The Rice 360° UNILAG innovation design studio coordinator, under the supervision of the Rice 360° director of innovation education, is responsible for the daily operations of an innovative specialized lab/studio based at the University of Lagos in Lagos, Nigeria. The studio coordinator leads implementation of engineering design curriculum at UNILAG, including offering workshops at the studio on prototype design/development as well as on use of related specialized machinery and equipment. S/he provides oversight, technical direction and specialized skills on the use of a wide variety of machinery and equipment. The studio coordinator develops processes and procedures to ensure the safety and creativity of the lab. S/he advises and serves as the lead support technician to students as it relates to their projects; instructs students and student workers on safety and the effective use of equipment tools and software, shop techniques, and safety protocol; and, participates and assists faculty and students with prototype design, development and research.Education RequiredBachelor's DegreeMajor/Discipline
EngineeringSubstitution for Education RequirementExperience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred
Master’s Degree or higher in biomedical, mechanical, electrical or other relevant field of engineering.Experience Required3 yearsType of Experience
Related experience in any of the following areas:
- Product development
- Engineering and/or clinical research
- Working in a design lab
- Experience with product development
- Experience with clinical and/or engineering research
- Experience with grant writing
- Experience with technical project management, including familiarity with the engineering design process
NoneLicense/Certification PreferredSkills Required
- Ability to set work priorities and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to understand and communicate complex instructions
- Knowledge of best practices for a research lab
- Excellent organizational, time management, an d verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office Suite skills
- Strong attention to detail; ability to be proactive, takes initiative
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Excellent analytical skills
- Knowledge of analytical laboratory equipment
- Advanced knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email and database software programs to complete work assignments
- Problem solving and critical thinking
- Ability to work independently, owning responsibility for timely completion of work
- Ability to multi-task and use good judgement to manage multiple and sometimes competing deadlines
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with people from many different backgrounds and experiences
Internal: Extensive daily contact with UNILAG undergraduate students, graduate students, and faculty; regular contact with UNILAG staff and administration, and Rice 360° project collaborators and staff
External: Contact with vendors/delivery services and entrepreneurs; occasional contact with donors and visitors to the Innovation Design StudioPhysical Demands
Requires working at a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours per day).Working Conditions
- Position is based at the University of Lagos in Lagos, Nigeria
- Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Occasional evening and/or weekend work related to projects as required
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Special Instructions to Applicants
Position is based at the University of Lagos in Lagos, NigeriaQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24508Essential Functions
- Manages laboratory and assists with setting up the laboratory
- Coordinates the day-to-day technical operations in the lab
- Coordinates all aspects of the processes
- Procures research materials and supplies for the laboratory
- Ensures and promotes lab safety and routine laboratory hygiene
- Maintains laboratory apparatus and equipment
- Supervises research technicians, student workers, and students in the lab
- Trains students regarding research techniques
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Participates in engineering design curriculum development
- Organizes and implements faculty and student events
- Establishes entrepreneurship learning opportunities for students, including internships
- Provides continuity, expertise and supervision to students assisting them to resolve design/technical problems, equipment use, and understand available resources
- Works with IT to generate and load specialty software, as applicable
- Provides basic instruction to undergraduates, graduate students, post docs, faculty and external users wanting to learn how to use the Innovation Design Studio equipment
- Tests and implements ways to effectively support recent graduates who want to start companies, including offering grant opportunities and supply chain support
- Identifies and secures potential supplemental funding for the design studio, including education or technical grant opportunities or private donors
- Applies for product development grants, especially biomedical engineering grants, through organizations such as USAID, Africa Grand Challenges, etc.
- Represents Rice 360° at the University of Lagos and/or to other external parties in Nigeria
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering field?
- * Do you have three or more years of experience in any of the following areas: product development, engineering and/or clinical research and/or working in a design lab, or additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement?
- * How many years of experience do you have in product development? Please briefly describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of experience do you have in engineering and/or clinical research? Please briefly describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of experience do you have working in a design lab? Please briefly describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please provide the salary or range that you would require or consider for this position.
(Open Ended Question)