Temporary Cook lll
Posting DetailsJob TitleTemporary Cook lllDepartmentHousing & DiningTemporaryTemporary Full-TimeRequisition NumberT21004Open Date08/04/2020Close DateSalary Information
$13.00 – $15.00/hourWork Schedule
Work Schedule for foodservice employees-Basic weekly work schedule will vary, but standard work week is 40 hours per week for 9 months of the year (with a potential for summer employment). The specific days of the week will be determined weekly and can include weekends. Must be flexible.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeYesPosition Summary
The cook III prepares a variety of foods in accordance with menu instructions and standardized recipes; ensures that proper food standards are maintained in the areas of quality, sanitation, and appearance; maintains a clean work area, and assists with general kitchen cleaning.
The cook III position is designed as a three – five year training position for emerging leaders in the Culinary Arts. With guidance from the sous chef/chef de cuisine, the cook III shares responsibility for providing direction and supervision to cook I’s and cook II’s. This includes possible supervision of grill cooks, bakers, pizza makers, interns, cashiers, dishwashers, and receiving and delivery assistants. The cook III is responsible for opening and closing the Servery during meals as well as cleaning during and after dinner services. The cook III may also be responsible for ordering supplies and produce for weekly menus (as directed by sous chef/chef de cuisine.)
The cook III will perform one or more of the following specialized roles in addition to the duties mentioned above:
- Food prep/sauces: Responsible for assisting with food preparation and production. Prepare various sauces based on daily menus as directed by sous chef/chef de cuisine.
- Assistant pastry chef: Responsible for supporting pastry chef with bakery food production for the university campus dining operations.Education RequiredHS Diploma or equivalentMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education Requirement
May substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.Education Preferred
Associate degree or completion of ACF certified apprenticeship or military equivalent- Advanced Culinary Skills Training Course (ACSTC)Experience Required2 yearsType of Experience
Related culinary experience.Substitution for Experience Requirement
May substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
Two years experience in a large volume food service operation either institutional or commercial.License/Certification Required
Certified Food Handler’s Permit (Houston) or equivalent (ServSafe)License/Certification Preferred
Certified culinarian within six months to one yearSkills Required
- Able to read/write in English
- Able to read and understand standard recipes/production sheets
– Documents HACCP log sheet (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
Contact with students, faculty members, and campus visitors.Physical Demands
LIGHT – Exert up to 25 lbs. of force occasionally. Requires walking or standing up to 8 hours per day. Other physical requirements of the job include manual dexterity and the ability to see, hear, reach, climb, and balance. Must be able to detect scents and discern flavors.Working Conditions
Work environment is a commercial kitchen and includes exposure to temperature extremes. Work hazards include exposure to chemicals, wet floors, dangerous equipment (fryers, dough sheeter, tortilla machine,stoves, ovens, knives, slicers, etc), and hot oil, steam, and water.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24169 Job Duties Job Duty NameDescription of Job Duty
- Prepares and serves food items in accordance with menus and standardized recipes to include a wide variety of breakfast items, vegetables, casseroles, meats, salads, etc.
– Participates in maintaining a high degree of sanitation within the kitchen and serving area including cleaning standard kitchen equipment
– Supervises cook I and cook II positions
– Responsible for opening and closing Servery during meal services and ordering supplies on a weekly basis
– Performs other duties as assigned by sous chef/chef de cuisine
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma or additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement?
- * Do you have two years of related culinary experience? You may substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.
- * Do you have a current Certified Food Handler’s Permit (Houston) or equivalent (ServSafe)?
- * This position is required to work during and after normal work hours, to include nights, weekends, and holidays when needed. Are you willing and able to work nights, weekends, holidays and emergencies when needed?
- * Do you have experience working in a large volume food service operation (institutional or commercial)?
- * Are you able to read and follow standardized recipes written in English?