Assistant Professor in Multimedia Journalism and Communications (Tenure Track)
Posting DetailsWorking TitleAssistant Professor in Multimedia Journalism and Communications (Tenure Track)Job Summary
Savannah State University seeks qualified applicants for a full time, tenure track, Assistant Professor in Multimedia Journalism and Communications in the Department of Journalism and Mass Communications to begin January 2021. This position will teach undergraduate courses in copy editing, introductory and advanced writing, feature writing, magazine writing and reporting, multimedia design and production and writing for multimedia, all from a multimedia approach. The candidate could also be asked to teach courses in Area F (major core) and other common/general courses. Applicants must demonstrate sufficient academic qualifications and professional experience in journalism, multimedia, and digital communication. The candidate must demonstrate experience with professional multimedia software such as Adobe applications, video editing, and be willing to learn and help grow the increasing online offerings. The successful candidate will be expected to teach a full load (4/4), maintain research productivity, provide service to the department (student advisement, departmental committees, and student organizations); and to the University. This position will support our ACEJMC accreditation efforts and contribute to the program’s assessment and must show evidence and promise of scholarly productivity. The successful candidate may be directed to perform other job-related tasks other than those specifically delineated in this description.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Background and/or credit check may be required.Minimum Qualifications
- An earned Ph.D. in Journalism, Mass Communications or a closely related field by January 2021; ABD accepted with a
definite completion date.
- Professional experience in journalism.
- Must demonstrate strong technology experience in both teaching with technology and teaching students how to use technology in journalism.
- Must be able to teach graphic design, layout, data visualization for web, video and print publications.
- Must be proficient with video editing, Adobe software and other software standard to the news industry.
- Excellent communication skills required.
- Experience managing experiential multi-platform environments and ability to support additional journalism course offerings, i.e. sports reporting.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with a diverse student population and faculty.
Savannah State University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative-Action Institution committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, genetics, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected Veteran status. Georgia is an Open Records State.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation.
Your application is not considered complete until all required documents have been uploaded to the appropriate section.
Complete application online https://jobs.savannahstate.edu; submit cover letter, current curriculum vitae, transcripts, and three letters of reference
Review of applications will begin upon receipt and continue until the position is filled. To ensure consideration, apply by September 30, 2020.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Savannah State University Website
- Savannah State University Employee
- * Do you have a Ph.D. in Journalism, Mass Communications or a closely related field?
- * Are you able to teach graphic design, layout, data visualization for web, video and print publications?
- * Are you proficient with video editing, Adobe software and other software standard to the news industry?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Letter of Reference 1
- Letter of Reference 2
- Letter of Reference 3
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Other Document