Teacher’s Assistant – Early Head Start/Head Start
Fort Valley State University's Family and Conumer Sciences department is seeking candidates for the Teacher Assistant position. The Teacher Assistant Trainer will be under the direction of the Head Start Director, assists the teacher in overseeing and directing the planning, organizing, and implementation of education services for children.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with maintaining a developmentally appropriate classroom setting, confident files on all children, correspond and work with parents.Assist with teaching and developing lesson plans as outlined in the program's adopted curriculum.Participates in daily planning with Child Development Specialist (Teacher) based on assessment outcomes and child interest.Assure classroom operates within the guidelines and standards of the Fort Valley State University Head Start Policies and Procedures and the Head Start Performance Standards.Assist the teacher with providing supervision and guidance to all children.Provide and environment that reflects the cultures of all children in the program in an integrated way.Provide for the health, safety and welfare of all children in the group.Complete and submit required forms and records in a timely and accurate fashion, e.g., lesson plans, time sheets, meal reports etc.Eat with and assist children in development of social and self-help skills, and sound nutritional practices.Use home visits and parent conferences to discuss the child's individual development and progress, assist the parents in developing observational skills and solicit parent observations.Must be willing to relocate to another center within the program whenever needed.Displays a high level of effort and commitment to performing work; operates effectively within the organizational structure and be inclusive of children with special needs and disabilities.Assist in implementing children's I.E.P. (Individual Education Plan) seeking clarification for any aspects that are not well understood.Bring willingness to learn and grow with other members of the program, center and community by participating in staff development opportunities.Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules and procedures manuals.Perform other duties as deemed necessary for the effective functioning of the program.
- Minimum of a CDA (Child Development Associate) or related area.Significant experience and alternative training in early childcare and development may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Associate's degree or higher in Infant & Child Development, Early Childhood Education or related area.Experience in working with children three to five years of age.Current CPR and First Aid certifications are desired.Knowledge and experience in the philosophy and practices of Head Start (or comparable child development programs), early childhood education, developmentally appropriate practice, and bilingual education.
- Must have own reliable transportation to travel to and from one of the centers located in Taylor, Macon, Dooly and Crisp counties.Must be punctual and able to work Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p. m.Must be able to work indoors as well as transition the classroom to outdoors.
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases.Possible exposure to blood and bodily fluids or tissues.Job requires sitting for long period of time (during planning and reporting) and standing for long periods of time (during observations and training), as well as stooping, squatting, and running.Must be able to occasionally lift 20 pounds overhead and 40 pounds from waist to shoulder. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distant and color visions, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Fort Valley State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate against applicants, students or employees on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or marital or veteran status.Fort Valley State Universityhttps://fvsu.applicantpro.com