Fort Valley State University's Biology Department is seeking candidates for the Laboratory Assistant position. The Laboratory Assistant is responsible for coordinating the operations of a science lab. The Lab Assistant will prepare and monitor experiments and tests in a research laboratory. The Lab Assistant will analyzes data and creates reports based on the results of tests.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares lab set-ups and disassembles laboratory materials, equipment and computers.
- Assists with plant or animal field experiments, data collection and analysis.
- Maintains preparatory and storage rooms.
- Prepares lab materials such as solutions, reagents, and samples.
- Procures, receives, organizes and stores all lab equipment, supplies and chemicals; maintains an adequate inventory.
- Ensures that federal, state, local, Board of Regents, and OSHA guidelines are followed.
- Maintains current Material Safety Data Sheets and other appropriate and required documents.
- Maintains detailed lab resource manuals/notebooks for each course.
- Maintains chemical inventory and submits biannual reports to the Board of Regents.
- Bachelor's degree in a course of study related to the occupational field required.
- Two years of related experience required.
- Three years of related experience required.
- Experience in Lab safety guidelines; local, state and federal regulations; OSHA regulations; and college and department policies and procedures.
- Working with co-workers, other college personnel, faculty, staff, students, vendors, and members of the general public.
- Handling and disposal of microbiological materials and other biohazards.
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light objects, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
- The work is typically performed in a science lab and/or in the field. The employee may be exposed to dust, dirt, grease, contagious or infectious diseases and irritating chemicals. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.