Duke Heath Job DescriptionREPORTS TO: Director,
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Associate Vice President, Strategic Planning and Business Development
PURPOSE: Support strategic (annual and issue-based) planning and analysis to assist in positioning the organization to be successful today and into the future. Coordinate project management tools and processes across the department at the direction of Directors and AVP.Job Responsibilities:
- Organize and manage planning efforts for Duke Health business units or cross-entity strategic initiatives. In collaboration with administrative and physician leadership, develop written multi-year strategic plans (typically with a clinical focus, but may include research and educational missions) and annual work plans that contain goals; objectives; relevant financial, clinical, and market data; clinical volume targets; and methods for evaluating performance to plans. Update plans as needed. Monitor and report on progress.
- Where needed, develop strategic plans, operational plans, and/or business plans to support the successful attainment of organizational and clinical service goals.
- Maintain close working relationships with hospital and physician leadership and staff to synchronize the clinical services development plans with operations.
- Provide functions 1-4 with selected service lines, clinical departments, organizational entities, or for designated strategic markets/or for affiliations.
- Provide structured analysis and business planning for new program development and new business opportunities.
Market and Data Analysis
- Coordinate the production and collection of relevant financial, clinical, and market data necessary for the planning process. This will include working with various constituents across the organization, including but not limited to hospital leadership, service line leadership, Marketing, Finance, Performance Services, and payor-related departments.
- Prospectively monitor local, regional, and national trends to identify new opportunities and threats for Duke Health and its business units.
- Assess project management needs across the department and propose tools and processes for successful project management of department requests and deadlines.
- At the direction of AVP and Directors, coordinate communication of department milestones and deliverables to ensure team members are appropriately aware of cross-sectional work to improve departmental awareness of similar work and requests.
- Develop and report on the performance of annual work plans and provide information to planning committees to monitor progress or needs for course correction.
Institutional and Divisional Support
- Support the ongoing review and development of the strategic plan and annual data analysis of clinical program performance.
- Meet regularly with the Director and other team members to discuss project progress and priorities.
- Collaborate with other Corporate Services to support organizational initiatives, including working with Hospital and Corporate Finance, Performance Services, DHTS, Marketing, and others.
- Support development and updates to Strategic Planning data (internal and external) and tools for the department and organizational leadership.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Must maintain compliance with all mandatory DUHS policies, training, and health/safety requirements.
Education: Bachelor's degree in a business or healthcare field required (Master’s degree very strongly preferred).
Experience:Five+ years of experience in fields such as hospital/provider strategic planning, business planning, marketing planning, operations planning, market research, and quantitative/financial analysis. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification: N/A
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Must be able to achieve results in a large, complex organization. Highly developed verbal, written, and analytical skills are necessary. Group facilitation and presentation skills. Must be able to manage multiple projects and processes simultaneously. Self-motivation and the ability to perform with minimal supervision.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Education: Work requires a general business background generally equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in a business-related field.
Experience: Work requires four years related business or administrative experience in hospital or group practice operations, management, planning, managed care contracting, or project management.
A master's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Health Administration, or Public Policy may be substituted for two years experience.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Core competencies include: collaboration and team-building skills, leadership skills, excellent planning, and organizational skills, effective and efficient decision-making skills; and strong analysis and judgment skills.
Excellent written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to be effective in a matrix management organization.Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
Job Code: 00005202 ASSOC ADMIN SR, MC BUS DEV/MKT
Job Level: H2
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.