Biology Faculty, Full-Time
Community College of Philadelphia
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions. To help address broad economic, cultural and political concerns in the city and beyond, the College draws together students from a wide range of ages and backgrounds and seeks to provide the programs and support they need to achieve their goals.
The Department of Biology invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position for the 2021-2022 academic year.
The Biology Department teaches the courses present in the first two years of the four-year B.S. in Biology degree, in addition to the lab science requirements for Allied Health/Nursing and General Education requirements. Biology has labs at the Main Campus and the three regional campuses.
Lab staff prepare materials for the laboratory components of our courses but faculty hired will be teaching both the lecture and lab parts of their assigned sections.
Common departmental syllabi for each course establishes the assigned textbooks, lab books and required content to be assessed with committee driven departmental final exams.
• Teach biological concepts to a diverse student population.
• Participate in departmental and college wide committees and activities.
• Engage in scholarly activities related to professional development and acquisition of skills.
• Demonstrate a sense of connection and responsibility for helping the College to achieve success through a commitment to its mission, vision, and values.
• Actively participate in the academic life of the College; including participation in graduation, recruitment events, general assemblies, student life activities and other cross functional teams. Create learning opportunities for students inside and outside of the classroom including opportunities to teach dual-enrollment high school students.
• Communicate effectively, share vision, focus on people, initiate positive change, value differences and foster collaboration. Work with and inspire others to achieve college, department, and individual success. Proactively identify/address problems.
• Establish an inclusive environment in the classroom. Demonstrate an understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of the College's faculty, staff and students.
• Participation in continual assessment and course updates to ensure excellence in meeting program and student learning outcomes.
• Strive for excellence in teaching, applying best practices in field of discipline, and modeling behaviors that encourage student success and retention. Utilize innovative teaching strategies and technologies for online learning and other technology tools to meet the learning needs of a diverse student population. Maintain office hours to meet with students outside of the classroom and respond to questions or concerns.
• Commitment to professional learning and growth, student mentoring, and service to the profession. Remain current in the use of technology, developments within the field of discipline, and developments related to teaching and student success.Minimum Qualifications
• Master's degree in the biological sciences or a related curriculum.
• Twenty graduate credits in the biological sciences.
• Strong background in one or more of the following subject areas: Anatomy/Physiology, Microbiology, Interdisciplinary Science, Genetics or Organismal Biology, Biotechnology.
• Teaching experience at the Community College Level.
• Demonstrated use of instrumentation and technology in Biological laboratory research.
• Experience in teaching online courses.
Special Instructions to Applicants
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Name and contact information for three (3) references REQUIRED.
• Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
• Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Community College of Philadelphia is an affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal access employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally under-represented groups. AA/EOE.
Salary Grade or Rank
Rank 5 or Rank 6