Senior Analyst, Principal Gifts and Strategic Initiatives (7547U) - 10613
Senior Analyst, Principal Gifts and Strategic Initiatives (7547U) - 10613 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: September 17, 2020
University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR) helps build Berkeley's excellence through communications, public outreach, and fundraising, all to raise public awareness about Berkeley and increase private philanthropy. UDAR provides overall direction for the campus's philanthropic advancement strategies and strengthens campus unit development in partnership with campus fundraisers. It handles a range of central activities and services encompassing prospect development, communications, donor stewardship, gift management, database management, and more.
Principal Gifts and Strategic Initiatives:
Within UDAR, the Principal Gifts and Strategic Initiatives (PGSI) team works with members of the campus community to build and advance life-long relationships between principal gift donors and Berkeley. We assist Berkeley's Chancellor and other campus leaders in engaging these individuals as partners, according to their interests and expertise, with the university's mission and priorities. By doing so, we help the world's leading philanthropists achieve their dreams through partnerships with the university, and we help advance Berkeley's highest goals and aspirations.
In February 2020, Berkeley announced the Light the Way Campaign with a $6 billion goal. In 2019-20, the campus once again broke our previous annual records to raise $1.04 billion in private support from more than 61,000 donors, bringing us 62% of the way to the campaign goal. As we look to the future with resilience and hope, it is now more important than ever to build life-long relationships with alumni and friends who have the dedication and capacity to make a transformational difference at Berkeley. This position will be part of, and help support, a high-performing team of fundraisers and development professionals who play a vital role in the success of the campaign.
As a member of the Principal Gifts and Strategic Initiatives team, the Senior Analyst will provide key analytic, project management, and strategic writing support for the PGSI team. Within that team, the Senior Analyst will work closely with the development professionals who support the PGSI frontline fundraisers and other leaders in UDAR and on the campus in advancing relationships with and engaging philanthropy from high net-worth prospective donors. This position will report to the PGSI Director and work under strategic leadership of the PGSI Executive Directors and Assistant Vice Chancellor.
The Senior Analyst will operate independently and as an integral member of a team, while taking on a variety of assigned tasks and projects as a partner in building and advancing donors' relationships with the campus. This work requires active, thorough research, rapid acquisition of knowledge about donors/prospective donors and campus programs and priorities, and the ability to adopt a donor-centric perspective and think critically about how best to advance fundraising priorities within a complex institution.
Prospect Advancement Support:
- Assist in execution of prospect/donor strategies for cultivation, proposal development, solicitation, and stewardship, and serve as strategic thought partner for PGSI gift officers and PGSI team leadership.
- Track on and be knowledgeable about strategies, current engagements and next steps for prospects in the PGSI pipeline, including using the campus donor database.
- Draft and edit a range of high-quality, custom materials important to advancing relationships with high-level donors and prospects. These may include proposals, briefings for donor meetings, talking points, stewardship reports and materials, presentations, and correspondence on behalf of Berkeley's Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor for UDAR, and other campus leaders.
- Ensure accuracy of all written pieces.
- Analyze and synthesize knowledge on donors and campus priorities, attending closely to donors' interests.
- Conduct informal prospect research; summarize and prepare background information, including accurate summary analysis of donor giving histories, with attentiveness to how donors view the story of their own philanthropy.
- Support strategic and written preparation and follow-up for high-level prospect/donor meetings with senior development staff, faculty and academic leaders.
- May interact with donors in person, by phone, and/or through written communication, as needed.
- Help plan, choreograph, and execute donor visits and small events that advance strategic priorities.
- Plan programming in consultation with PGSI fundraisers and team leadership; manage logistics and follow-up.
- Engage partnership of colleagues throughout UDAR and on the campus, including UDAR's External Relations & Marketing and Communications team and Donor & Gift Services team, to produce custom communications including proposals and stewardship materials, managing these projects from inception to timely completion.
This position will be best suited for an individual who has 3-5 years of development experience, preferably in individual giving, and/or academic/university experience, and who is looking to become more integrated with the strategic elements of principal gifts. Particular skills and qualities include:
Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills; ability to think strategically about donor engagement at the highest level.
- Excellent writing and research skills, including ability to make complex information clear and accessible for multiple audiences and shape it for specific purposes; logical and readable organization; proficiency with grammar, syntax, style and punctuation.
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills; exceptional attention to detail and follow-through.
- Knowledge of/experience with conducting research and analysis through databases/online information systems.
- Proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and other relevant software.
- Excellent oral and interpersonal communications skills, including political acumen and active listening, to build and maintain effective working relationships at all organizational levels within UDAR and across the campus.
- Ability and flexibility to act as a member of a high-performing team of development professionals with diverse skill sets and functions.
- Knowledge of fundraising and donor relations concepts, principles, and practices.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn the UC Berkeley campus or experience in a complex, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Strong professional integrity, intellectual curiosity, and an exemplary ability to collaborate within and across teams.
- Ability to work efficiently, set priorities among multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and achieve goals.
- Tact, discretion, and sound judgement, including in handling confidential information.
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=10613&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency