Dean, Math, Science, and Health Careers
Posting DetailsPosition TitleDean, Math, Science, and Health CareersRequisition NumberSCA00403General Description
Reporting to the Vice President for Academic & Student Success, the Dean of Math, Science and Health Careers provides energetic, strategic and collaborative leadership, supervision and administration of divisional academic programs, including support for department heads, instructional support staff, faculty and curricula, and provides strategic development, direction and implementation of academic operations, policies, practices and procedures. The Dean is responsible for maintaining and developing high quality academic programs, selection and retention of divisional faculty and staff, and day-to-day management of divisional operations including budget preparation and oversight. The Dean serves as a member of the Vice President’s leadership team, participates in the College’s strategic planning, provides oversight and management of assessment in the division, and works closely with both academic and administrative areas of the College.Specific Responsibilities
• Provide leadership, oversight and vision for academic and student success in the Math, Science and Health Careers division to advance the College’s mission, vision and strategic plan.
• Compile and analyze data relevant to student needs, retention, attrition, student success, persistence and graduation rates, and provide intervention recommendations to senior leadership.
• Track student success and provide input to divisional programs’ activities, services and curriculum in order to ensure relevancy and excellence in meeting student needs. Incorporate elements of assessment in improving student outcomes.
• Work with departments to lead the development, coordination and supervision of courses and degree offerings, promote instructional innovation, including advancing developmental education efforts, and enhance curricular offerings, including online learning, and program services to meet the diverse needs of students within the division.
• Ensure that courses, programs and degree offerings are in compliance with academic and accreditation standards and College requirements within the division.
• Promote and support faculty in the design and development of new courses/programs of instruction, deletion of courses/programs and major course/program revision and insure that all programs provide clear academic pathways.
• Provide administrative oversight and coordination of the continued development, quality of assessment, and analysis of student learning outcomes and research; ensure integration and alignment with strategic planning and the program review process.
• Assist department heads with implementing course and program evaluation and improvement plans based on planning, goal setting, and assessment with an ongoing priority on assessment.
• Work with the Vice President for Academic and Student Success in developing the College’s enrollment management plans including evaluating course enrollment trends and supporting institutional enrollment management efforts.
• Oversee hiring of assigned academic and staff personnel, and manage the performance of direct reports.
• Delegate and review assignments and projects; establish clear expectations for effective performance, and evaluate work products and results.
• Supervise the professional conduct of staff and promote a work culture of cooperation, mutual support, efficiency and optimal customer service.
• Create an operational infrastructure for the Division that supports the external focus and efforts of the Dean.
• Serve as an advocate for issues, initiatives, goals and needs of the division.
• Lead divisional meetings and smaller cluster meetings.
• Provide leadership and oversee program accreditation and approvals.
• Oversee grant development, implementation and administration.
• Plan, recommend, and implement budgets for assigned areas and take necessary action to ensure that the departments operate in compliance with budget limitations and established fiscal policies.
• Serve as a member of the leadership team and contribute to the team’s decision-making and organizational planning.
• Collaborate on College-wide publications promoting divisional activities.
• Participate collegially on committees, and chair certain ad hoc committees as assigned.
• Serve as a representative of the College in local, regional, state and national groups, organizations, K-12 schools and post-secondary institutions.
• Provide strong customer service and/or student advocacy as demonstrated through a positive attitude of approachability, adaptability, strong problem solving, collaboration and desire to identify and support student success.
• Perform special projects and provide fact-finding and troubleshooting activities in areas of special interest as assigned by the Vice President for Academic and Student Success.
• Support faculty in meeting the academic needs of students and respond to faculty issues as appropriate.
• Deliver quality customer services to both internal and external constituents in a professional helpful and courteous manner.
• Other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications
• Earned master’s degree in an academic discipline represented within the Division is required. Any and all degrees must be from a recognized institutional accreditor.
• Seven (7) years progressively responsible relevant experience in higher education required.
• A minimum of five (5) years of experience in a management capacity within higher education, with demonstrated successful experience in personnel management and budget development required.
• Teaching experience required.
• Experience in academic assessment work at the course, program, and institutional levels required.
• Knowledge of nationally recognized reform efforts in the areas of instructional and curricular innovation practices, developmental education, as well as practices in retention and enrollment development, required.
• Knowledge of state and federal laws related to higher education required.
• Experience with regional and program-specific accreditation issues and processes required.
• Demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities in working with faculty, staff, students and community groups of diverse backgrounds, as well as deep commitment to issues of diversity, equity and inclusion required.
• An innovative, solution-oriented thinker who understands complex systems and has strong relationship-building skill sets that lead to high quality organizational practices and results.
• Ability to articulate complex higher education issues in a manner that can clearly be understood by a variety of audiences.
• Skilled in strategic thinking, planning and execution, change management and system thinking, with knowledge of strategy development and implementation, performance management systems of goals, targets and monitoring process.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills including engaging verbal and written communication and ability to influence a wide range of individuals from different backgrounds and at different levels.
• Effective decision-making skills and ability to juggle multiple and competing demands and establish priorities in a highly dynamic environment, while providing continual attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to establish and leverage relationships with business, education, government and other constituencies.
• Understanding of the specific needs of a large, complex and diverse campus community.
• Experience in a role requiring advanced collaboration and problem solving skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to work with efficiency and diplomacy, particularly as part of a team effort.
• Ability to maintain sensitivity, understanding and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds required.Preferred Qualifications
• Doctoral degree preferred.
• Teaching experience at a community college is preferred.
• Prior experience in a unionized environment preferred.Work LocationMain CampusBenefitsSpecial Instructions to Applicants
*Interested persons should complete an online application.
*Cover letter of interest and resume REQUIRED.
*Names and contact information of 3 professional references OPTIONAL
Review of applications will commence on August 11, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Community College of Philadelphia is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Equal Access Employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally underrepresented groups.Salary Grade or Rank6Salary RangeSalary commensurate with relevant work experienceJob Posting Open Date07/21/2020Job Posting Close DateType of PositionAdministratorJob CategoryEmployment Status Full-TimeSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about Community College of Philadelphia?
- The Chronicle
- Veterans Job Fair
- Professional & Technology Diversity Career Fair
- AL DIA - Diversity Career Fair
- Community College of Philadelphia Website
- * If your answer to the above question is Other, please note the source below. If this question does not apply to you, enter N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is the highest level of education you have completed?
- No Response
- High School/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- * Do you have seven (7) years of progressively responsible relevant experience in higher education?
- * Do you have a minimum of five (5) years of experience in a management capacity within higher education, with demonstrated successful experience in personnel management and budget development?
- * Do you have teaching experience?
- * Do you have knowledge of nationally recognized reform efforts in areas of instructional and curricular innovation practices, developmental education, as well as practices in retention and enrollment development?
- * Do you have knowledge of state and federal laws related to higher education?
- * Do you have experience with regional and program-specific accreditation issues and processes?
- * Do you have previous experience in a unionized environment?
- * Do you have teaching experience at a community college?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application