Job location: Colby College
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-04
Job DescriptionDepartment:GroundsPay Rate Type:HourlyEmployee Type:Job Summary:Colby’s campus comprises 714 acres including a 70-acre-plus outdoor competition center that consists of three gleaming new competition and recreational fields. Most of Mayflower Hill, including all of the 128-acre Perkins Arboretum and Bird Sanctuary, is a State Wildlife Management Area. Johnson Pond, the Campbell Trails for running and cross-country skiing, a student run organic garden, and vast areas of wide-open space provide reasons to enjoy Colby’s campus year-round.
The grounds specialist position will perform the tasks necessary to maintain the College grounds, support campus events, perform moving, and set-ups as required. This is a full-time position with benefits. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
Full-Time, Hourly, Non-Exempt Staff Appointment
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain the College grounds including mowing, raking, plant maintenance, lawn care, trail maintenance, and snow removal
- Provide support to projects which enhance the campus including new plantings, mulching, signage, and other small projects
- Set up facilities for College events and provide necessary support
- Move furniture and other materials on campus and within local area
- Perform work, as assigned, to properly maintain athletic facilities including the lawn care, playing surface maintenance, lining of fields, ice making, and ice grooming operations
- Complete manual tasks as required to meet the needs of the College, such as digging, shoveling, lifting, pushing, and similar tasks requiring physical labor
- Properly and safely operate grounds department equipment, as assigned by the supervisor, including trucks, tractors, riding mowers, forklift, Zamboni, and bobcat
- Demonstrate basic mechanical understanding of all grounds equipment
- Work in excavations or trenches; work from ladders, scaffolds, or in trees; work in all weather conditions
- Oversee periodic assignments of students and/or summer employees to ensure that work is performed to College standards
- Properly and safely operate all hand held equipment including lawn mowers, chain saws, trimmers, brooms, snow blowers, etc.
- Work in a neat, careful, and safe manner to prevent injury to self and others to prevent damage to any material, equipment, or property, and to follow all prescribed safety rules and procedures
- Safely operate tools and equipment necessary to perform job duties
- Work in a positive, cooperative manner with other departmental personnel
- Communicate effectively and personably with a diverse community of people
- Follow all safety rules and procedures
- Respond to emergency calls as necessary
- Independently respond to work order and requests
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- High school diploma or equivalent required; professional coursework or post-secondary education are a plus
- Experience working in similar grounds position is strongly desired
- Valid driver’s license required and must meet the College’s Fleet Safety Policy requirements
- Must be able to work independently, exercise judgment, and manage projects with minimal supervision as well as to adjust as new projects are assigned
- Ability to make an impact through work as a member of a team and diverse community
- Solid communication skills in order to work collaboratively with members of a diverse community and to provide excellent customer service
The position reports to the grounds supervisor and landscape manager and has significant interaction with faculty, staff, students, peers, and the Colby community.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform the essential functions.
Position is 40 hours per week working in in all weather conditions. Overtime required as needed by College schedule and weather conditions. Must be available for planned and unplanned night and weekend work for College events, snow removal, and other needs as required. Must be able to walk, bend, stoop, lift up to 50 lbs., climb, or crawl as required to ensure completion of the work.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the "Apply" button on the Colby College website. Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
Grounds Specialist (Full-Time) - Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855