Senior Financial Research Administrator - Office of Research Administration
Senior Financial Research Administrator - Office of Research AdministrationJob no: 506308
Position type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Office Research Administration
Salary: Salary commensurate w/experience and grade range
Applications Open: Sep 02 2020
General Summary of Position:
The Office of Research Administration (ORA) provides assistance to faculty and research staff in all aspects of managing external research funding. The Senior Financial Research Administrator position oversees the financial administration of grants and contracts from budget setup through award closeout and ensures compliance with all Federal, State, University and sponsor policies, procedures and rules. This position and office works closely with the Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation’s offices, as well as other financial and administrative units across the campus and throughout the University system to provide efficient and effective research administration support services to the UMass Lowell research community.
Essential Job Duties:
Approve all reimbursement requests, Procard purchases, procurements, Personnel Action Forms for new hires, and purchase orders related to sponsored research projects checking for availability of funds, reviewing allowability under contract terms and conditions, and screening for correct capital equipment classifications. Communicate with Principal Investigators (PIs) if alternative funding is required.
Prepare and submit interim and final financial reports for sponsors, including cost share reports. Preparation of sponsor financial reports includes analysis of project budgets; expenditures; encumbrances and receivables. Perform grant and contract close out function including revenue/expense analysis.
Billing for government, public sector, and private sector grants and contracts utilizing the PeopleSoft billing system.
Process journal entry transactions such as cost transfers; cross campus payments; tuition reimbursement; and internal project funding.
Manage sub-contract invoice process for sponsored projects.
- Verify new award/contract information (chartfield forms) in PeopleSoft system including funding source & billing information requirements. Enter change order information into PeopleSoft system for existing awards/contracts.
Resolve complex accounting issues including project over runs, and accelerated spending and grant expiration dates.
Other Job Duties:
Promote the University’s commitment to customer service by:
- Build effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed
- Ensuring optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information
- Maintaining an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities and roles
- Available for special projects as requested by Director
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting or related field plus seven years + of directly related experience in sponsored research accounting in a university, research foundation, or industry setting. *Will consider candidates with an Associates Degree and 12 or more years of experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience, with financial transactions (e.g. budgets, purchasing, accounts payable, travel, payroll and accounting)
- Strong interpersonal skills (listening skills, problem solving, confidence etc.), ability to multi-task with emphasis on customer service
- Excellent written communication
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with computerized accounting systems
Given the nature and responsibilities of the position, only U.S. persons (any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3)) will be considered for this position.
- Familiarity with research applicable OMB Circulars, Uniform Guidance, effort reporting, cost sharing, overhead rates
- Knowledgeable of accounting standards (GAAP, GASB, CASB) and internal control procedures
- PeopleSoft experience preferred
- Experience with report writers, e.g. Summit dashboard, SQL
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.