Montana State University Billings (MSUB) is seeking a committed, visionary Chancellor who is enthusiastic about serving the University’s student-centered mission during a time of unprecedented opportunity and change. The next Chancellor of MSUB will understand, appreciate, and galvanize MSUB as an institution and Billings as a community; they will have an entrepreneurial spirit and an ability to listen to and learn from diverse stakeholders while crafting a compelling vision for the future. Understanding the University’s mission, the next Chancellor will lead the institution to a new level of excellence by focusing primarily on successful practices that will result in student recruitment, retention, and in helping students graduate on time from, both, the main campus as well as the two-year programs offered by City College MSUB; they will emphasize relationships with alumni, businesses, and non-profit organizations throughout the region, forge new public/private partnerships, and raise significant funds to advance MSUB.
The next Chancellor will understand that it is people that define a great university, and that effective recruitment, engagement, development, and empowerment of faculty and staff is very important.
The Chancellor reports to Dr. Waded Cruzado who took office as Montana State University’s 12th president in 2010 and has significantly reshaped the face and future of the state's only land-grant institution.
Major priorities for the next MSUB Chancellor are:
- Optimize enrollment management and retention practices that will strengthen four-year and master’s programs enrollments at MSUB university campus and two-year and certificate programs enrollments at the City College MSUB campus.
- Working with the faculty and student support services to implement best practices and markedly improve retention, persistence, and completion rates throughout the institution;
- Engaging in sound fiscal management of the institution, with an eye toward operational efficiency, developing new revenue streams, and assessing academic programs for implementation/discontinuation at the MSUB and City College MSUB campuses;
- Continuing to build strong linkages with leaders in the civic, business and non-profit sectors that highlight MSUB’s role as a major public university in Montana’s largest city; partnering with business and industry in Billings and eastern Montana to serve community/industry needs and create work-based learning opportunities for students; partnering with Billings Public Schools and other regional school districts to develop new K-12 partnerships and dual enrollment opportunities
- Continuing to work on the institutional accreditation goals and expectations of the North Western Association on implementing outcomes assessment;
- Enhancing the identity of MSUB as an important participant in the Montana State University affiliation and in the strong eight campus Montana University System (MUS); identifying the most important academic and administrative priorities for the future of MSUB and tying them to the strategic goals of the University System; partnering with other MSU institutions to offer joint programs.
- Building new resources for MSUB through fundraising, public/private partnerships, and other entrepreneurial programs; encouraging the Governor, Legislature, and Board of Regents to more fully invest in higher education on a state-wide basis;
- Supporting the City College MSUB leadership as they continue to engage in the Montana University System (MUS) comprehensive two-year college initiative; working with the President to better define this effort and to fully incorporate new efforts on the Billings campus and;
- Enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusivity throughout MSUB; strengthening relationships with the seven Tribal College Presidents and leading an effort to further build a strong Hispanic student population.
Montana State University Billings seeks a new Chancellor who has unquestioned integrity, demonstrated abilities as an organizational leader, strategic thinker, innovator, and collaborative team builder, and who:
- Possesses an earned doctorate from an accredited institution of higher education and/or other credentials that would engender the trust of the faculty and higher education community; and the Billings community; most important is an outstanding record of leadership, which can come from the academic world, private industry, or both;
- Has experience leading complex organizations as a sitting chief executive officer, vice chancellor/vice president, or dean in an academic setting, and/or has experience as an executive leader who has outstanding non-traditional experience along with a passion- and appreciation for – higher education;
- Effectively demonstrates an understanding of the MSUB mission, its current strengths and emerging potential; communicates a genuine commitment to the long-term development of MSUB, the city of Billings, and the state of Montana; is able to express a vision, leadership style, and personal approach that indicates an excellent institutional “fit” with MSUB;
- Demonstrates a desire to excel as a team player and leader within the Montana State University and Montana University System communities, with previous experience leading as part of a university system an added plus;
- Understands, appreciates, and supports the prominent role of two-year and career & technical education as a key part of the MSUB’s success; ideally demonstrated through management experience in a two-year educational setting;
- Understands MSUB’s pivotal role within the state’s economic system; has awareness of national, regional, and local trends relevant to some of MSUB’s core strengths in business, health care, education and technology; can drive further success for MSUB, Billings, and Montana in workforce and economic development;
- Is familiar with leadership opportunities, challenges, and strategies at institutions with a significant non-traditional or commuter student body population;
- Possesses financial acumen, strategic planning/budgeting experience, and political savviness; is technologically sophisticated;
- Wishes to engage in major gifts fundraising, and has a substantial commitment to effective community, business, and university relations; has a verifiable record in these areas;
- Is committed to understanding and supporting Native American cultures and educational opportunities and challenges;
- Is proactive in driving diversity, equity, and inclusivity throughout the institution, with a track record of recruiting and retaining diverse individuals at all levels of leadership;
- Has a collaborative management style, an appreciation for the contributions of all employees and a commitment to professional development and transparency with clarity;
- Has familiarity with and respect for labor management and collective bargaining matters; and
- Demonstrates a level of emotional intelligence, supported by strong spoken, written, and listening skills, and the ability to promote a welcoming and inclusive environment.
How to Apply or Nominate a Candidate
Application materials should include a letter addressing how the candidate’s experiences match the position requirements, a curriculum vitae or resume and five references. Submission of materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. Application materials should be directed to:
Email: [email protected]
For more information about MSUB, please visit: https://www.msubillings.edu/chancellorsearch/
MSUB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as other qualified individuals.
Apply for Chancellor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly