Assistant Director for Faculty Development and SoTL
Posting DetailsPosting NumberF0705PWorking TitleAssistant Director for Faculty Development and SoTLDepartmentTeaching and Learning CtrAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/DepartmentCollege/Unit/Department websitePosting TypeExternalRetirement PlanEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleUnderutilizationNoneAdvertised SalaryAnticipated Start Date12/01/2020Effective End Date (for Limited-Term postings)Job Posting Date09/01/2020Job Closing DateOpen until filledYesSpecial Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, those wishing to apply for this position should submit application materials by September 30.
Those with questions regarding this position should contact:
Dr. Ruth Poproski
Associate Director for Teaching and Learning
Center for Teaching and Learning
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30606
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Position DetailsClassification TitleAcademic Professional ACFLSAFaculty RankAcademic Professional AssociateContract TypeFiscal (12 mo.)Tenure StatusNon-Tenure TrackMinimum Qualifications
Terminal degree in a disciplinary area appropriate for the position (as defined in the job posting).Position Summary
The University of Georgia seeks an organized and thoughtful individual to join the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) as Assistant Director for Faculty Development and the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL). The CTL is a unit of the Office of Instruction, whose central mission is to provide university-wide leadership, collaboration, and support on matters related to instruction.
The Assistant Director for Faculty Development and SoTL reports to the
Associate Director for Teaching and Learning, and collaborates with
Assistant Directors in the unit. At the CTL, Assistant Directors work under the guidance of the Associate Director to develop and execute an institutional vision aligned with the CTL mission within their area
(e.g., faculty development and SoTL). Assistant Directors also support
the development and execution of new programs and strategic initiatives
in support of high-quality teaching and learning; sustain current programs, workshop offerings, resources, and services designed to enhance instruction; serve on the leadership team for the CTL Teaching
and Learning Team; collaborate with CTL colleagues in support of programming related to the mission and goals of the CTL and UGA Office of Instruction; and more.
The individual filling this position will support instruction and SoTL activities across all UGA schools and colleges by providing educational development services such as workshops, consultations, facilitation of
mid-semester formative evaluations of teaching, leadership of specific CTL programs, and more. There may also be an opportunity for this individual to teach at least once per year within our slate of graduate level teaching courses (offered through the graduate school). CTL’s
Assistant Director will work with the Associate Director for Teaching and
Learning and the Assistant Director for Instructional Development to assess current efforts in faculty development and shape our efforts moving forward. This response will include consideration and response to
directives from above, emerging trends in higher education, and observed needs at the University of Georgia. The purpose of this position is to pursue the development and execution of educational development and SoTL programs and services for faculty at UGA.
This position is Monday – Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM, with expectations for flexibility when needed to meet deadlines and provide support for the Center. This is a full-time, 12-month, benefits-eligible position.Additional Requirements
• A doctoral degree with anticipated completion no later than December 2020.
• At least one year of experience with instructional design and/or faculty development in higher education.
• At least one year of teaching experience in higher education, and a demonstrated commitment to improving teaching on the basis of research on teaching and learning.
• An earned doctorate in a field represented at the University of Georgia (https://www.uga.edu/a-z/schools.html).
• Two years of experience working in a Center for Teaching and Learning or similar higher education unit.
• Three years of experience developing and facilitating programs for faculty at various career stages – including but not limited to facilitating teaching workshops and/or learning communities, conducting teaching observations, and facilitating the small group instructional diagnosis process.
• At least one year of experience participating in the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) and/or assisting others with SoTL initiatives.
• At least one year of experience teaching at a large research university.
• At least one semester of experience teaching a course on teaching and learning for TAs or graduate students.
• Knowledge of multiple and varied instructional strategies and their application in the higher education classroom.
• Significant practical knowledge of the scholarship of teaching and learning in higher education.
• Evidence of the ability to help others navigate the development and execution of SoTL projects.
• Evidence of the ability to communicate effectively across a range of stakeholders, including faculty members, staff, administrators, and students.
• Evidence of the ability to set goals and achieve outcomes in a timely fashion with little oversight.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
• Evidence of excellent written, oral, and visual communication skills.
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Provide educational development services for faculty (e.g., workshops, consultations, facilitation of mid-semester formative evaluations of teaching, leadership of specific CTL programs).Percentage Of Time50Duties/Responsibilities
Provide support for SoTL-related efforts of faculty at UGA (e.g., through consultations, workshops, leadership of fellows programs, etc.)Percentage Of Time20Duties/Responsibilities
Collaborate with the Associate Director and other Assistant Directors to develop new, strategic, and responsive initiatives for the CTL.Percentage Of Time10Duties/Responsibilities
Work with the Associate Director to assess current faculty development efforts and shape future work.Percentage Of Time10Duties/Responsibilities
Teach once per year within our slate of graduate level teaching courses (offered through the graduate school).Percentage Of Time5Duties/Responsibilities
Other duties as assigned.Percentage Of Time5Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter