SERVICE DESK SPECIALIST I,IS&T IT Help Center
SERVICE DESK SPECIALIST I,IS&T IT Help CenterTracking Code4111 Job Description
Serve as the BU community's primary point of contact for all 200+ IS&T-provided IT services, leveraging enterprise knowledge, and technical expertise to assess client needs and address all inquiries with the appropriate action.
Requires working evenings, weekends, and/or holiday hours. Evening and weekend coverage may be part of a semester-based rotation or a permanently scheduled assignment.
Participate in multiple services, platform, or project teams as a subject matter expert. Provide incident control and response, and ensure resolution. Provide life cycle management for service requests, and ensure clear and concise client communication.
Minimize the business impact of service failures by efficiently identifying the impact, urgency, scope, and severity of incidents and appropriately invoking the Major Incident response teams for life-safety, business transaction-critical, and teaching-related services.
Provide an interface to other IT Service Management activities, IT Partners, and escalation groups. Operate, maintain, troubleshoot, and provide intermediate-level support for a wide variety of areas including client/desktop systems, mobile devices, calendaring/mail servers, and web-based solutions.
Focus is on consistently providing the best in class support through collaboration with our faculty, staff, researchers, and students to update and improve business processes using IT solutions. Perform additional duties as required. May entail being on call.Required Skills
- 1-3 years of experience in a related technology environment.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related discipline is preferred.
- Must hold a valid driver's license. Must be able to lift moderately heavy equipment (up to 50 pounds).
- Must be able to type 40 wpm.
- Experience with using and diagnosing both Windows and Mac supported Operating Systems required.
- Must have the ability to troubleshoot software and network issues.
- Preferred experience with account management, Active Directory, databases, mainframe, and LMS systems including monitoring performance and file permissions.
- An understanding of restricted-use data is also required.
- Should be comfortable with installing, configuring and upgrading Windows and Mac applications, various specialized applications, peripherals, and mobile devices.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP LAN/wireless networking principles and application protocols, i.e. HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP and FTP.
- Experience with WordPress and web site content management and development.
- Experience with a variety of tools commonly leveraged in a complex enterprise environment such as remote assistance, asset management, image and deployment, patching, backup and restore, virus protection, and various native and centrally managed encryption solutions preferred.
- Must follow procedures and keep accurate records of incidents and requests while working.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills required.
- Excellent phone etiquette.
- Demonstrate patience when problem-solving complex technical issues, over the phone and in person, with diverse customers.
- Learn and support new technology quickly.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills absolutely necessary.
- An energetic, self-directed, motivated, and professional individual who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Interact with all levels of an organization in a professional, diplomatic, and tactful manner.
- Work well with external vendors.
- Work well with both primary and dotted line reporting.
- Work productively in cross-functional teams and/or resourcefully and independently as an individual.
- Must possess the ability to work autonomously and maintain control in rapidly changing situations.
- A high level of independent decision making is absolutely required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.Job Location BOSTON, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular