Assistant Dean of Student Success
DescriptionUniversity of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Assistant Dean of Student Success
Position #00350575 – Requisition #19125
The Assistant Dean (AD) for Student Success serves as a member of the Dean’s cabinet, provides input on strategy and tactics to improve student success, and oversees key elements of the student experience from recruitment to post-graduation. The AD reports directly to the Associate Dean of Programs and works closely with the other Associate Deans and the Dean of the Business School. The AD is responsible for executive and budgetary leadership and oversight of recruiting, admissions, advising, course coordination, and career services teams; executing data driven analysis of course and program enrollment; managing effective apply-admit-enroll-graduation processes; providing direction for student retention and placement efforts. In this role, the AD will collaborate with other key administrators within the Business School and across the campus, staff, and faculty to provide leadership and vision in the development of infrastructure and processes to support student success and maximize enrollment management goals and retention efforts. The AD will have extensive knowledge of how to collect and use appropriate data toward these ends. This position requires independent action, individual initiative, and a high level of responsibility. Supervision Received
Position reports to the Associate Dean of ProgramsSupervision Exercised
Provides Supervision for: Assistant Directors of Recruitment, Director of Admissions, Director of Graduate Advising, Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admissions, and the Course Coordinator.Key responsibilities include: Student Success
- Collaborate with all areas of the Business School and Campus to achieve established student outcomes and foster an integrated student success model.
- Collaborate with Associate Dean of Programs to design and implement a full complement of student success services that include a strong and inclusive undergraduate and graduate culture, opportunities for student involvement in the Business School and university, ongoing socioemotional support, workshops and tutoring services. Provide Business School leaders with outcomes of such efforts through analysis of needs and request any resources to maintain said culture and student success initiatives.
- Take a data-driven approach on student success. Collect and analyze data on undergraduate and graduate student retention and graduation. Collaborate with administrators, faculty, and staff to interpret and improve retention and graduation rates.
- Oversee development of effective strategies by Recruiting, for awarding institutional scholarships that impact student recruitment, enrollment, and retention.
- Oversee and lead new student onboarding and retention initiatives including student orientation, tutoring, and mentoring.
- Together with Associate Dean of Programs and direct report leadership, cultivate and promote the long-range vision and mission for student success.
- Handle student complaints, petitions, and other student administrative issues that are elevated to the Dean’s level.
- Lead strategic process improvement efforts targeting a consistent and productive experience for our students.
- Provide leadership and collaborate with the Associate Dean of Programs and the Assistant Directors of Recruitment and Enrollment Management, the Director of Admissions, and other staff to take a data-driven approach in the development and implementation of strategies to collect, manage and report data related to course enrollment.
- Analyze data, develop recommendations, and create innovative strategies for course scheduling and management. Lead and assist strategic implementation as necessary.
- Collaborates with Dean Cabinet and program / discipline leadership in the development of strategies and recommendation for achieving student enrollment and success goals. Overseas implementation of efforts toward the same.
- Work with other department on campus to form partnerships or make decisions about prerequisite enforcement and definition. Follow through with communicating those changes to program staff team and students and then implementing those changes.
- Provide oversight of Course Coordinator. Lead and develop continuous improvement strategies for the Business School coordinator process.
- Provide oversight and lead process improvement innovation for Business School recruiting, admission, advising, and career connection processes.
- Collaborates with dean’s team and program leaders to recommend and support the implementation of both online and on campus enrollment goals for the Business School.
- Leads and contributes to Business School effort toward curriculum changes, transfer agreements. AACSB, CAHME compliance, and other University processes and policies.
- Represents the Business School on university initiatives related to student success.
- Serve on campus committees regarding policies and compliance, negotiating and positioning the Business School for outcomes success. Leads policy implementation and compliance for student success related issues.
- Budget management for student success events as well as professional development and related activity for student success organization
- Provide leadership to the Assistant Directors of Recruiting, Director of Admissions, Director of Graduate Advising, and the Assistant Director of Undergraduate Advising. Set goals and objectives, evaluate staff performance, implement improvements and create a culture of student-centeredness and accountability.
- Work to ensure collaboration between teams to develop seamless communication for students from inquiry to enrollment to graduation.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, business, public administration, social science, liberal arts, communications, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- 7 years of extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience in higher ed in the areas of admissions, advising or student recruitment, including experience in management, supervision and/or leadership.
- Experience in the supervision and development of staff
- Advanced degree in Higher Education administration, Business Administration, Public Administration or relevant field from an accredited institution
- Successful program and project management experience with cross-campus initiatives, including student success
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with students, faculty and staff
- Demonstrated experience creating retention efforts
- Demonstrate experience in leading and support student success initiatives
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally in university and public settings
- Ability to multi-task, mentor employees, show attention to details, set priorities, edit copy, work with diverse populations of students, faculty and staff, problem solve and assess/improve processes
- Ability to provide leadership and management that results in a highly committed and performing team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution
- Innovativeness and strategic thinking
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Knowledge of classroom scheduling
- Advanced software level skills in Microsoft Office 365 software suite and database competency
Job Category: Executive
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Sep 1, 2020
Unposting Date: Ongoing