Life Science Research Professional 1
Life Science Research Professional 1
Job Number: 87215
About the Position:
Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research Professional 1 to perform basic functions and activities involved in defined research projects, and independently conduct and analyze experiments. Under supervision, perform at full operational skill level, assist with experiments in cell signaling and characterize interactions involving growth factors and other proteins in the fields of cancer and neuronal biology. Assist with experiments making technical determinations and/or observations related to research projects. Under supervision, perform PCR, cell-based assays, cell culture, protein blotting, and flow cytometry. Assist with limited variety of non-standard procedures. Data processing and presentation and statistical analysis. Contribute to lab administration, compliance, and maintenance.
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Theoretical knowledge in biomedical or a related science.
- Theoretical knowledge of molecular biology techniques and genetics and experience in extracting DNA/RNA, PCR, PT-PCR, qPCR.
- Experience in protein chemistry/purification, gel electrophoresis and transfers, various gel and membrane stains, western blots, and densitometry and analysis on resulting data
- Experience with immunohistochemistry.
- Histology processing, embedding, sectioning, and staining.
- Experience with mouse and rat handling, surgeries, anesthesia, injections, euthanasia, and tissue harvest.
Education & Experience (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
Certifications & Licenses:
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Schedule: Part-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: E
- Requisition ID: 87215
Location: School of Medicine, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency