Laboratory Research Supervisor I (6246U) - 10351
Laboratory Research Supervisor I (6246U) - 10351 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: September 16, 2020
The Innovative Genomics Institute (IGI) is a non-profit, academic research organization formed through the partnership of UC Berkeley andUC San Francisco located on the UC Berkeley campus. At the IGI, we envision a world in which genome engineering innovations benefit humanity and are accessible to all. A key focus is accelerating translation of CRISPR-based approaches to address real-world problems in human health and agriculture.
The IGI is looking for passionate people who share our vision and values. We are committed to hiring and developing employees who want to work in a high performing culture. The IGI is especially interested in candidates whose previous experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We encourage individuals to apply who may have had non-traditional career paths, taken time off for family/personal reasons, or excelled in careers outside academia.
- Accept and reject collected SARS-CoV-2 specimen kits in a Biosafety Cabinet.
- LIMs interactions and proper handling of Protected Health Information.
- Adherence to rigid rejection criteria and safety guidelines.
- Process accepted specimens through the Hamilton STARlet to form plates for extraction.
- Process currently involves a large array of screw cap tubes that must be decapped and capped before and after the process.
Robotic Liquid Handler Management:
- Operate and monitor progress of samples through the Hamilton Vantage extraction and qPCR plating processes to ensure task completion without error.
- Review and approve qPCR results and amplification curves.
Documentation & General:
- Make records of any deviation to written processes in the LIMs.
- Assist with proficiency testing and safety inspections.
- Maintenance of laboratory inventory.
- Waste disposal.
- Directly supervise and indirectly oversee the activities of researchers at all levels.
- For direct reports, performs recruitments, performance evaluations, scheduling and handling disciplinary issues.
- Coaches and mentors lab support staff, entry and intermediate associates as needed in scientific applications.
- Supervise subordinates with proficiency testing and safety inspection.
- Supervise subordinates when they write reports related to any deviation to written processes in the LIMs.
- Coach them as necessary for improved performance.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written)
- Willingness and ability to learn new methods and skills for changing research priorities.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a techncial team.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate work tasks with others, and meet daily deadlines in a fast paced facility setting.
- Experience with general laboratory techniques.
- Bachelor's degree in life sciences or related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Experience working in a core or resource facility setting.
- Experience with basic molecular and cellular biology techniques.
- Experience working in a CLIA and or BSL2 facility.
- CLS preferred.
- Advanced degree and/or equivalent experience/training preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a one year Contract Appointment, with an end date.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=10351&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency