Senior Media Relation Specialist
Senior Media Relations Specialist
The Senior Media Relations Specialist is a member of a team responsible for developing and administering media relations for Duke Health. The successful candidate possesses a strong working knowledge of regional, local and social media, and has the ability to provide a strategic process for ensuring that Duke Health and its experts are strategically and appropriately aligned in traditional and new media outlets.
Key areas include media and public relations, media content development and management, social media awareness, and multimedia/publications/production experience. The Senior Media Relations Specialist will be the primary point person for local media to connect with Duke Health leadership, staff, and patients.
- Create strategic media relations plans and successfully implement tactics aligned with strategic objectives for assigned therapeutic areas or stories; analyze day-to-day local, regional and national traditional and social media coverage for trends that would influence our media relations efforts: 25%
- Create, develop and place news stories in key target media; develop and maintain responsive and effective working relationships with key local and regional reporters, news outlets, scientific organizations, emerging, high-potential content partners, writers and websites that may be valuable future partners: 25%
- Work with the marketing and communications team to initiate joint projects that feature a high integration of social media, media relations and marketing campaigns: 15%
- Exercise expert judgment in triaging incoming media requests to determine priorities and identifying adverse media issues or inquiries and exhibit leadership in developing strategic and timely responses: 15%
- Provide strategic media relations counsel and preparation to faculty and leadership; provide in-depth media training for target faculty, to include analytical assessment of media environment, recent trends in print and broadcast news coverage, and hands-on training to improve the quality of faculty presentations: 10%
- Work with senior leaders and marketing to define and execute a strategy for creating blog & social posts, articles, media content, and other collateral directed specifically to enhance Duke Health’s reputation: 10%
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Business, Marketing or other related fields
- 5+ years’ experience in journalism, public relations and/or communications, preferably with health care experience
- Experience using and monitoring social media for story ideas and trends
- Ability to analyze media trends and create strategic media plans accordingly
- A track record of generating and promoting significant media coverage
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to think and communicate clearly, formulate a clear point of view on complicated topics, and create a concise and well-written narrative
- Ability to pay painstaking attention to important details
Required Minimum Qualifications at this Level
Work requires the ability to write effectively in several different formats and styles, identify stories that have the elements necessary for success, understand the components of effective and successful video production and online communications, and edit copy normally acquired through the attainment of a bachelor's degree in Journalism, English or a related discipline.
Work requires a minimum of five years of extensive media relations or news reporting experience. Skilled in understanding print, broadcast, and online media, with demonstrated ability to analyze media trends and create strategic media plans accordingly, excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills, and news production. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification: N/A
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: N/A
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level: N/A
Job Code: 00005496 MEDIA RELATIONS STRATEGIST, SR.
Job Level: G1
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision