Temporary - Custodian (no benefits)
Posting DetailsJob CategoryCasual WagePosition TitleTemporary - Custodian (no benefits)Full Time/Part TimePart TimeDivisionFinance and AdministrationDepartmentFacilities - Custodial ServicesDepartment StatementAccountabilities
Maintains assigned area in clean and safe condition by performing such duties as cleaning of bathrooms and shower areas, vacuuming, dusting, polishing, washing windows, walls and woodwork, removing trash and recyclables, stripping and re-finishing hard floors, extraction cleaning of carpets and cleaning of common areas. -
- Responsible for cleaning in assigned area(s) to meet established guidelines.
- Responsible for following safety protocols in carrying out assigned duties and reporting maintenance and safety items to facilities office.
- Assists with moves and deliveries, setting up for special events, coverage for athletic events, and office moves. Removes snow and ice from entrance doors, steps, & sidewalks, and ensures cleanliness of immediate outdoor perimeter of assigned buildings.
- Works well with colleagues in a team oriented system and maintains flexibility to handle diverse job assignments.
- Must be capable of working in a setting with a diverse group of students, faculty, staff, and visitors on a daily basis.
- Must be available for work in excess of normal schedule as needed, and reachable by phone for emergencies.
- Must be able to handle heavy equipment, such as industrial vacuum cleaners, and containers, such as trash bags/cans.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment as required.
- Previous custodial experience is preferred.
- Previous custodial experience in a hospital or educational setting and experience operating automatic floor and/or carpet cleaning machines is preferred.
A high school diploma or GED is preferred.Physical Requirements
Must be able to stand for long periods of time and to lift and carry up to a maximum of 50 pounds.Other Information
This position starts immediately with an end date of November 2020.
A current, valid driver’s license, in accordance with the University’s Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy, may be required for certain work opportunities.Requisition Number2019CW031PTemporaryYesWork Schedule
Sunday through Thursday OR Tuesday through Saturday 3:30-Midnight.Job Open Date09/01/2020Job Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial Instructions SummaryEEO Statement
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.Clery Act
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at [email protected]. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you currently a Colgate employee?
- * Have you ever been a Colgate employee?
- * Are you at least 18 years of age?
- * Please let us know how you heard about this position.
- Albany Times Union
- Binghamton Press & Sun
- Cazenovia Republican
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Colgate Employee
- Colgate Website
- Diverse Issues of Higher Education
- HERC (Upstate New York HERC)
- Mid-York Weekly
- NCAA News
- Norwich Evening Sun
- Oneida Daily Dispatch
- Sherburne News
- Syracuse Post Standard
- Utica Observer Dispatch
- Waterville Times
- If you selected "Colgate Employee" or "Other" for how you heard about this position, please provide the employee's name or where you heard about/saw the position.
(Open Ended Question)