Facility Maintenance and Heavy Equipment Operator (8148C) 10426
Facility Maintenance and Heavy Equipment Operator (8148C) 10426 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: September 14, 2020
Berkeley Forests operates five research forests throughout the state to develop and test appropriate management strategies for forested watersheds that will flourish under different climate change scenarios. Berkeley Forests is home to the oldest permanent forest plots (1915) and longest running forestry summer camp (1917) in the Western United States.
The Facility Maintenance and Heavy Equipment Operator provides essential support for various forestry practices while maintaining and improving infrastructure and equipment on Berkeley Forests research stations. This position will be responsible for monitoring the condition of forest infrastructure and equipment, prioritizing repairs, and coordinating with outside contractors when necessary.
- Monitors condition of research station infrastructure including roads, culverts, water system, fences, cabins, workshops, meeting building, and storage sheds
- Prioritizes necessary repairs and improvements to infrastructure
- Completes repairs or facilitates and oversees repairs done by outside contractors when necessary
- Maintains, repairs, and modifies research field station roads and paths; shaping and grading, snow removal, culvert installation and repair, etc
- Operates, maintains, and performs repairs of heavy motor vehicles including water tender, backhoe, dump truck and excavator
- Conducts forest cultural operations; site preparation, mastication, other heavy equipment use
- Setup and run fire suppression equipment during wildfires and prescribed fires
- Assist researchers with installation of projects that involve installation of field equipment
- Operates, maintains, and performs repairs of Berkeley Forests equipment including vehicles, chainsaws, pruners, brushcutters, and small pumps
- Maintains record of repairs
- Performs forest research measurements and other duties as assigned
- Maintains operational records of equipment and personnel time, services used, etc
- Facilities maintenance experience.
- Experience operating heavy motorized equipment including loader/backhoe and excavator.
- Knowledge of safe working methods and procedures.
- Experience operating power tools.
- Ability to perform routine work independently and in a team
- Ability to prioritize assignments under pressure
- Effective communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a physically demanding environment
- Vehicle and heavy equipment maintenance experience
- Valid driver's license
- Class A license or ability to obtain within 2 years
- Experience with forestry operations such as mastication and site preparation Two years of experience in related fields
Salary & Benefits
Hourly range: (Step 1.0) $23.74 - (Step 16.0) $31.94, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=10426&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency