Laborer/Gardener (8097U) - 8750
Laborer/Gardener (8097U) - 8750 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 13, 2020
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community. The Landscape Services group provides grounds maintenance services including irrigation, hillside fire mitigation, landscape maintenance, street sweeping, contract management, and consultation.
- Perform weeding, cultivation, ground cover pruning, vine and shrub pruning, mulching, leaf pickup; watering by manual sprinklers, hose and spike, portable sprinklers and supplementing automatic systems.
- Assist tree crew with sucker removal, brush pickup and chipping.
- Assist mowing crew with power mowers, edging and blowing clippings off hardscape.
- Perform demolition: soil preparation, including amendment, rototilling and grading; install plant material; install and/or repair header boards; renovate turf-scalp, overseed top dress and/or lay sod.
- Assist with installation, repair and/or relocation of grounds furnishings; erosion control.
- Assist with installation and repair of irrigation systems.
- Pick up and remove litter and debris, empty trash boxes and replace as necessary; strip poster and flyers, etc. from all non-designated structures.
- Inspect and observe beat and report problems to proper personnel regarding: irrigation, pest infestations, tree hazards; surfaces and furnishings in need of repair and/or replacement; safety hazards; general landscape problems (stressed or declining plants including trees, erosion, etc.); and vandalism/graffiti.
- Perform head/valve cleaning.
- Fill in holes and low spots around heads.
- Perform minor head adjustments.
- Perform tree trimming and thinning, up to 25', utilizing ladders and appropriate safety equipment; tree pollarding (i.e. sycamores); small tree removal and brush chipping and removal.
- Clean drain covers and catch basins; clean building entrances and pathways, power washing hardscape, operate power mowers, and clean window wells.
- Perform creek-bed clean-up; road cleaning; hillside maintenance (brush and weed cutting and litter pickup); fire trail maintenance; log splitting and other related tasks.
- Assist tree crew in emergency situations.
- Adhere to all university and departmental safety guidelines.
- Attend job-related and safety training as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge and ability to properly operate, and provide daily/weekly basic maintenance of landscape maintenance equipment such as: lawnmower, edger, weed whip, blower, vacuum, hedge trimmers, splitter, stump grinder, sprayers, aerator, verticutter, turf aerator, sod cutter, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and follow oral/written instructions provided in English.
- Ability to interact in a positive manner with campus community, including students, building managers, academic personnel, and craft personnel, in a multi-cultural environment.
- Knowledge of ANSI A 300 Part 1-Standard Pruning Practices.
- Twelve months of experience in a grounds operation; or an equivalent
- combination of training and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of methods, materials, tools, equipment used in grounds work and safe work practices.
- Must be able to drive small trucks.
- Must be able to work cooperatively in a group setting.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience up to $22.22/hour.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=8750&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency