Recreation Program Instructor 2 (4128U) 5849
Recreation Program Instructor 2 (4128U) 5849 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
University Village provides family housing, residential and recreation programs to serve the families of students, staff, faculty and the community at large in a variety of social, cultural and physical activities. The purpose of this position within UVA Recreation Programs is to provide recreation classes to children ranging from ages 9 months to adults. Currently, the University Village, located in Albany 4 miles from UCB campus, is comprised of about 2400 students and families in 974 housing units. Involves instructional or program activities related to recreation, leisure, and fitness in an accredited environment; provides first aid and emergency care as necessary, and responds to user/customer needs.
- Provides activity instruction to program participants, individually or in groups.
- Maintains a supportive environment for program participants and facilitate involvement.
- Interacts with recreational program participants in a positive manner.
- Broadens knowledge of teaching methods, techniques and skills through continuing education.
- Participates in required professional development activities.
- Provides health and safety training, guidance on safe work practices, provides proper equipment, observes work practices and correct methods and investigates accidents.
- Works in a safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk.
- This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations; using personal safety gear; observing warning signs; learning about potential hazards; and reporting unsafe conditions.
- Working knowledge of program activity practices and procedures.
- Requires verbal and written communication in the English language, active listening, dynamic flexibility, critical thinking, multi-task and time management skills.
- Able to exercise independent sound judgment and employ reasoning skills.
- Client service minded, entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Ability to gain knowledge of campus policies and procedures.
- May work in classes, youth camps, fitness, outdoor programs.
- Must be able to successfully pass FBI and DOJ Criminal Check.
- Red Cross CPR Certification, or ability to acquire upon hire, is required.
- Standard First Aid Training Certification, or ability to acquire upon hire, is required.
Licenses or Certifications
- Maintains current CPR/First Aid certification and TB clearance.
- Must complete blood borne pathogen training annually - upon hire.
- Standard First Aid Training Certification required - upon hire.
- CANRA mandated reporter online training required - upon hire.
- Certification to instruct in the applicable recreational sports program or equivalent experience preferred.
- Previous experience working with age level specific to an activity is preferred.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a part-time, limited (temporary) position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=5849&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency