Nursing Retention and Intervention Specialist
Nursing Retention and Intervention Specialist🔍Houston, Texas, John B Coleman BuildingNew📁Part-Time📅200022D Requisition #📅11 hours ago Post DateSUMMARYCoordinateactivities with faculty and students to promote student success in the NursingPrograms. Identifies students identified as “at risk” based on test scores,faculty report, student request, and students with academic difficulties. Thisposition provides remediation and works with students to improve criticalthinking, and test taking skills.ESSENTIALDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Serve as a resource to faculty in retention and remediation of at risk and culturally diverse population;
- Maintain a caseload of “at risk” students and meets with each student at least once every two weeks or weekly if indicated;
- Refer students to social support services and additional tutoring services and to other services offered by the Academic Success Center (ASC);
- Develop a community of learners that holistically fosters professional growth, development, and socialization into the nursing profession. These may include nurse professionals outside of HCCS and general class times;
- Tutor and mentor students in the areas of time management, organization, study skills and stress management;
- Assist students to use current on-line learning and remediation tools;
- Assist students in preparation for high-stakes testing;
- Maintain accurate records of activities, student progression, and meetings or other service intervention;
- Collect and analyze data regarding student’s use and effectiveness of remediation resources and services. Collect, compile, and disseminate data and statistics on standardized tests;
- Assist in coordinating program-wide nursing retention programs; and
- Knowledge of the NCLEX Blueprint and NCLEX style questions. Monitor and Track Standardized exam data.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Possess the ability to work in a diverse work environment
- Willing and able to assist students in day, evening or weekend classes
- Knowledge and skill in a variety of computer usage and software are required
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse professional, community, and student population
- Possess good organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrate sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate students in a learning-centered environment
- Self-disciplined and able to effectively manage others
Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We’re proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
You will find a collaborative, collegial atmosphere at HCC; one in which you will receive strong support at the highest levels of administration. Our leaders foster a positive work environment through empowerment of team members and direct reports.
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
If this sounds like the role for you and you’re ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
Office of Institutional EquityPO Box 667517Houston TX, 77266713 718.8271 or [email protected] HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact (713) 718-8565.