Job Number: 87180
The Cyber Policy Center at the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies is Stanford University's premier center for the interdisciplinary study of issues at the nexus of technology, governance and public policy. Program areas address topics including cybersecurity, election security, misinformation, digital democracy and human rights, artificial intelligence and emerging technologies. Through research, policy engagement, and teaching, the Cyber Policy Center seeks to bring cutting-edge insights and solutions to national governments, international institutions and industry. For more information on the Cyber Policy Center, please visit https://cyber.fsi.stanford.edu/
The Communications Associate will be an integral member of the Cyber Policy Center team. Reporting to the Cyber Policy Center's Executive Director and working with the Center's part-time Communications Manager, the Communications Associate will craft the identity of the Center and promote the work of its programs to both external and internal audiences. This position will work with researchers and staff at a variety of programs within the Cyber Policy Center, all with different needs, while understanding the need for a cohesive brand. The Communications Associate will provide communications needs for these programs as needed, including website/social media content.
The Communications Associate will focus on responsibilities such as web development, social media monitoring and posting, webinar facilitation and promotion, as well as occasional writing assignments and design projects as they arise. This position will participate in Cyber Policy Center communications strategy meetings and discussions and should expect to work closely with other communications staff at the Freeman Spogli Institute and across campus.
This is a 75% FTE fixed-term, benefits-eligible position. The term concludes one year from the start date, and may be extended based on program need and funding availability.
For consideration, please provide resume and cover letter. Background check required for all final candidates.
In this role, you will:
- Develop, execute and oversee written communications of moderate complexity, including presentations, speeches, news stories, web content, talking points, and correspondence and social media posts.
- Participate in regular meetings of key researchers with media relations needs to develop strategies and tactics for facilitating effective communications.
- Assist in identifying and maintaining professional relationships with key press and community leaders.
- Assist in preparing content for internal or external newsletters. Understand email and digital content distribution.
- Identify individuals/groups to attend and/or speak at public meetings or other events.
- Coordinate media, community or government relations, and ensure logistics and preparations are handled.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Excellent written communication skills, reporting skills, and skills in conceptual editing, copy editing, and proof reading.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal communications groups across campus.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills in working with a variety of people.
- Capacity to write and synthesize materials and communicate information in a manner easily understood.
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- Experience in web-publishing, knowledge of the Drupal content management system preferred.
- Familiarity with cyber issues and brand development recommended.
- Prior experience working in a university environment a plus.
Why Stanford Is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more.
Note: The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Part-time
- Job Code: 4262
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: H
- Requisition ID: 87180
Location: Dean of Research, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency