Administrative Assistant II
Posting DetailsJob TitleAdministrative Assistant IIDepartmentBioengineeringFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS21082Open Date08/31/2020Close Date09/21/2020Salary Information
$15.82 – $20.53 an hourWork Schedule
Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The position is term-limited to one year from date of hire.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeYesPosition Summary
The administrative assistant II reports to the executive administrator and coordinates a wide range of administrative and clerical responsibilities in support of the Department of Bioengineering at Rice University. Duties include but are not limited to — supporting finance and events staff in various administrative and clerical capacities, coordinating departmental activities, processing department travel and supply expenses, space inventory and updates, preparing expense reports and encumbrance reviews, and helping investigate department past due invoices.
We are seeking candidates who have demonstrated ability to lead and/or work collaboratively in teams comprised of individuals of diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives.
We seek greater representation of women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans in disciplines in which they have historically been underrepresented; to attract international students from a wider range of countries and backgrounds; to accelerate progress in building a faculty and staff who are diverse in background and thought; and we support an inclusive environment that fosters interaction and understanding within our diverse community.
The George R. Brown School of Engineering ranks among the top 20 of undergraduate engineering programs (US News & World Report) and is strongly committed to nurturing the aspirations of faculty, staff and students in an inclusive environment.
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.Education RequiredHS Diploma or equivalentMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education RequirementMay substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.Education Preferred
Bachelor’s degreeExperience Required3 yearsType of Experience
Related experience providing administrative supportSubstitution for Experience RequirementMay substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
Experience at Rice University or other academic settingLicense/Certification RequiredLicense/Certification PreferredSkills Required
- Proficient computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software and email applications
- Demonstrated success in follow-through and completing routine tasks
- Advanced organizational skills and attention to detail
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
Basic knowledge of:
- Edgar WebApps
- Purchasing Card experience, including expenses reconciliation and reporting
Internal Contacts: The incumbent has frequent contact with many offices within the University, including all offices within the division and other administrative and academic offices and has continuous contact with the student population, faculty, staff, and vendors.
External Contacts: The incumbent has frequent contact with speakers and guests from academia, government, and industry.Physical Demands
Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours)Working Conditions
Monday through Friday, 40 hour work weekEssential Personnel
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24471Essential Functions
- Generates routine communications; coordinates production (formatting, copying, etc.) and distribution of documents, such as presentations, course handouts, grant proposals, conference and seminar materials, complex reports, brochures, and displays
- Plans and schedules calendar(s), resolves calendaring conflicts, and arranges travel
- Processes and monitors financial transactions, including resolution of discrepancies
- Schedules, organizes, and operates conferences, seminars, and events, including recommending vendors for services, overseeing the production and distribution of materials, coordinating logistics, and serving as liaison with internal and external vendors
- Maintains office supplies and equipment; obtains vendor quotes, as needed
- Coordinates office moves
- Serves as the point of contact for general maintenance, health and safety, and other facility concerns within the unit(s); reports any incidents or potential safety problems to appropriate representatives
- Maintains and updates approved web content
- Performs human resources transactional support, e.g. time cards, I9’s, and / or faculty affairs support
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Responsible for BIOE administrative suite logistics, including front desk office coordination and general administrative support
- Assists with BIOE departmental logistics including, submittal and follow-up on work orders for maintenance issues, conference room audio/visual maintenance, telecommunications requests, tracking of space inventory and updates, and maintaining up-to-date inventory of all BIOE designated space
- Assists with faculty recruiting and academic program activities
- Assists with Purchasing Card expense reports
- Assists with monitoring fund open encumbrances and contacting vendors to request any missing invoices and closing encumbrances upon payment completion
- Assists with review and investigate department Past Due Invoices
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma or additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement?
- * Do you have three years of experience providing administrative support or additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement?
- * Do you have experience working in a college or university environment?