Lecturer - Sociology (Spring 2021)
Position Title:Lecturer - Sociology (Spring 2021) Position Number:40009169 Campus Location:Online General Summary:
The University of North Georgia (UNG) in partnership with USG eCore seeks a dynamic, innovative full-time online instructor with a successful track record of teaching Sociology courses in higher education. This non-tenure-track, renewable faculty position will be assigned ten courses per contract term (roughly 5/5 load), which are taught fully online using Brightspace D2L (GoView). This is a full time remote position, not restricted by commute or geographic area, though occasional travel to UNG, Carrollton, GA, or other locations in GA may be required. For the duration of employment, the faculty member will be provided with a laptop, either Mac or PC, depending on their preference.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.Job Duties & Responsibilities:
The Lecturer will:
- Be responsible for providing quality online instruction, facilitation, and student engagement.
- Be expected to be available for online office hours and online chats with students in addition to being engaged in course instruction, discussions, and at-risk reporting as outlined the eCore teaching MOU and policy handbook.
- A commitment to supporting student success within a diverse student population in an online learning environment
- Ability to breakdown and disseminate difficult concepts in a manner to facilitate student understanding.
- Applicants are expected to have at a minimum a Master of Arts degree in Sociology or a closely related field (Ph.D. is ideal) with at least 18 hours of graduate coursework in Sociology.
- A minimum of three (3) years of teaching experience at the undergraduate level, with at least one year of successful online teaching.
- Experience working with non-traditional learners
- Prior experience with eCore or online learning and learning management systems
- A successful completion of eCore teaching certification is required.
- Ideal candidates will have an academic grounding in Sociological pedagogy and demonstrated skill in teaching college composition and literature to an online audience.
- Ideal candidates will have an academic grounding in the specific subject area of coursework related to assigned teaching responsibilities and demonstrated skill in teaching college level.
Please submit contact information for three professional references.
In addition to a background check, this position will also require a DMV check. Employer Information:All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.