Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Stanford Law School
Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Stanford Law School
Job Number: 87172
Stanford Law School is committed to creating an equitable learning environment for all of its students and recognizes that students of color, LGBTQIA students, women students, students with disabilities, and first-generation or low-income students may face obstacles to participating in and benefiting from a full legal education experience.
The Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion reports directly to the Dean and serves as a member of the Law School's senior management team. The Associate Dean serves as a principal advisor regarding developing policies and programs that ensure all students can meaningfully access educational opportunities at the Law School.
In this role, you will serve as primary liaison between the students, faculty, and staff on issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion, counseling students and serving as the point person when students have issues and ideas related to Law School courses, educational and other programs, and overall school climate. You will work closely with the Dean's Special Advisor on the Law School's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Initiative.
The Associate Dean works with other members of the senior management team as well as faculty committees to ensure that the needs of all students are equitably addressed. While overseeing the implementation of training and support programs for students to expand their knowledge and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion, the Associate Dean provides programmatic leadership and assistance to student affinity groups. The Associate Dean works directly with faculty and students regarding classroom or curricular concerns and collaborates with other University offices on operational and policy issues to provide access to University services to all students.
In this role you will have broad responsibility for ensuring a culture of inclusion at the Law School, and bringing an equity analysis to institutional decision-making in areas including student recruitment, retention, organizational and programmatic planning, conflict resolution, student counseling, job placement, course planning and other curricular matters, relationship building, and external networking as outlined in the duties described below.
- Advise and counsel law students and student affinity groups regarding issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). Provide coaching and mentoring to students, and senior staff. Work collaboratively with other law school units, programs, and centers to improve effectiveness of services for all students.
- Manage processes, projects, programs and training to improve the overall student services and administrative functions of the law school related to DEI to promote the school's effort to build and maintain an environment that is inclusive, pluralistic, and diverse.
- Identify, clarify, and resolve complex issues within SLS and which could have university-wide impact. Use advanced professional knowledge requiring broad discretion and judgment, serve as the ombudsman/advisor to SLS students.
- Provide strategic direction for and advance DEI initiatives in furtherance of the Law School's values and priorities, ensuring the continued development of an inclusive, student-focused culture.
- Develop vision, scope, key program deliverables/outcomes; analyze, measure effectiveness and oversee programs and tools for delivery of DEI student programs.
- Review exceptions to university, program, or SLS policies and procedures, settle grievances. Make recommendations that may impact the school's academic programs.
- Advise the dean and faculty on programmatic and policy development on DEI issues and proactively engage with constituents to ensure students feel safe and supported.
- Lead school-wide DEI initiatives; develop long range planning, policy, and programmatic development, plan and facilitate programs to support the integration of diverse students into the law school community and facilitate dialogue on topics of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and serve as a catalyst for change. Collaborate with the Office of Student Affairs and other departments.
- Represent Law School programs and initiatives at senior level meetings, conferences, and to both internal and external constituents.
- Prepare and monitor budget.
*May perform other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and eight years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience. Law degree and experience in higher education setting strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Advanced communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, and all levels of management. This includes communicating across difference, cultural competence and cultural humility, emotional intelligence, and facilitating meetings that address complex issues.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong leadership and strategic management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
- Demonstrated experience managing people.
- Understanding of underlying technological needs and requirements.
- User knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledgeable about the field of diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education. Significant experience working with individuals of different races, ethnicities, and backgrounds.
- At least five (5) years of experience in counseling, student services, or administration in higher education, with a strong preference for experience in a law school, setting.
- Ability to establish credibility and effective working relationships across a complex, diverse, and hierarchical institution.
- Understanding of and experience with adult learning methods and developing training.
- Experience developing programs and systems within an education or other bureaucratic institution.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise, sensitively written materials for a wide range of readers.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze the needs of individual students and groups of students, and to be knowledgeable about the range of University resources available to students is required.
- Excellent judgment and discretion.
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Stanford welcomes applications from all who would bring additional dimensions to the University's research, teaching and clinical missions.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Stanford Law School seeks to hire the best talent and to promote a safe and secure environment for all members of the university community and its property. To that end, new staff hires must successfully pass a background check prior to starting work at Stanford University.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7507
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: K
- Department URL: http://www.law.stanford.edu/
- Requisition ID: 87172
Location: School of Law, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency