Technical Manager, Infrastructure Engineering/DevOps
Technical Manager, Infrastructure Engineering/DevOps
Job Number: 87164
IT Technical Manager 3
Job Code: 4807
The Technical Manager for Infrastructure Engineering/DevOps is a member of University IT (UIT) and is responsible for the development and management of technical services provided by the Enterprise Technologies (ET) groupwithin UIT. The position reports to the Sr. Director of ET Infrastructure, and will focus primarily on design, delivery, security and optimization of technical solutions for both on premise and cloud environments.
In this role, you will be leading a team that is architecting cloud-native solutions, helping to migrate on-premise workloads to cloud services as needed, and reassessing applications and services using modern DevOps approaches. We have systems on AWS, GCP, Azure, and on-premise VMware, as well as physical hardware. Strong focus has been on containers, Kubernetes, GKE, and serverless technologies. You will have plenty of opportunities to participate and impact a wide variety of technology projects serving the Stanford community, which is composed of faculty, students, and staff.
Our group is a fun, hardworking, results-driven, and supportive team. As a member of the Stanford community, you will find that your work is not only valued and rewarded, but that the work you do makes a difference by supporting Stanford's mission of being a global leader in research, education and service. Where we lack in stock options and free meals, we make up in total compensation, an honest approach to life/work balance and the knowledge that we are all advancing the greater good. Feel free to explore additional details about working at Stanford and UIT.
- Design, develop, install, configure, administer, and maintain highly scalable, available, and elastic solutions that implement industry best practices using AWS, Microsoft Azure, GCP, VMware and on premise hardware
- Apply DevOps best practices to enable highly available & reliable systems and processes including source control, CI/CD, build and deployment frameworks for both local and cloud-based systems
- Support on premise and cloud services, including security configurations, patching, and troubleshooting.
- Exercise full management responsibility for a technical team of DevOps engineers, including recruiting, hiring, training, developing, evaluating, and setting priorities.
- Ensure work completion within schedule, budgetary, and design constraints; make decisions about analysis, design, and testing; solve complex technical problems; provide alternative methods for achieving goals when necessary.
- Provide strategic planning, guidance and make recommendations to senior management on technical strategies
- Work with groups within UIT and ET to establish technical best practices, standards, policies and procedures.
- Monitor technology trends and evaluate emerging technologies for adoption and implementation.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to leverage the UIT's investments in information technology.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and eight years of relevant work experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Hands-on experience supporting Linux systems in 24 x 7 enterprise environments.
- Comprehensive understanding of server and networking hardware and infrastructure.
- Experience in orchestrating environment deployment using tools such as Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Git, Puppet and many others.
- Experience in development of automation tools with popular languages such as Python, Unix shells and/or PowerShell scripting.
- Experience with AWS server deployment using AWS CLI, HashiCorp Terraform.
- Advanced knowledge of security trends and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and develop teams
- Strong customer relationship skills, consensus building skills, and ability to establish effective working relationships in a diverse environment.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- May work extended hours, evenings and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limit
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4807
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: M
- Requisition ID: 87164
Location: Business Affairs: University IT (UIT), Redwood City, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency