Director, Resident as Educator (Assistant, Associate or Full Professor, Part-Time, NTE)
COM Phoenix Academic AffairsDepartment Website Link:
Greater Phoenix AreaAddress:
435 N. 5th St. , Phoenix, AZ 85004 USAPosition Highlights:
The Resident as Educator Program at theUniversity of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix aims to improve the teachingskills of residents, thereby enhancing the educational experience of bothresidents and medical students throughout their clinical training. The goal ofthis program is to equip residents with tools to become successful educatorsand to ensure that University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix medicalstudents are provided with the best clinical learning experience.
TheDirector is responsible for developing and implementing a Residents asEducators program at the UA College of Medicine – Phoenix. The Director ofthe Resident as Educators program will work closely with the Associate Dean,Graduate Medical Education, Associate Dean, Clinical and Competency Based Education Curriculum, along with clerkshipdirectors and the Designated Institutional Officials and Residency ProgramDirectors at UA College of Medicine – Phoenix affiliate sites to provideleadership for the Residents as Educators training programs of the College ofMedicine - Phoenix. The Director will overseecentralized monitoring of residents’ participation in the Resident as Educatorsprogram for the UA College of Medicine - Phoenix. This person will alsocontinually assess accreditation mandates and address the needs of the college,residency program directors, and individual learners through innovativeeducation and training.
Thisposition reports to the Associate Dean, Graduate Medical Education.
The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenixanchors the 28-acre Phoenix Biomedical Campus in the heart of the Valley of theSun. The College inspires and trains individuals to become exemplaryphysicians, scientists and leaders who are life-long learners and inquisitivescholars. We embrace professionalism, innovation and collaboration to optimizehealth and health care for all. The Phoenix Biomedical Campus embodies theUniversity’s priorities of engagement, partnership, innovation, and synergy inits world-class academic and research initiatives, with clinical facilitiesthroughout Greater Phoenix. The campus also houses the UA Colleges of PublicHealth, Pharmacy, and Nursing, as well as Northern Arizona University’s Collegeof Health and Human Services, the Translational Genomics Research Institute(TGen) and the International Genomics Consortium.
Asa cost-saving measure related to the impact of COVID-19, Furlough andFurlough-Based Salary Programs have been approved by the Arizona Board ofRegents. All new hires subject to the programs will be notified in accordancewith adopted Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs guidelines and will berequired to comply with all measures. To learn more about the programs andwhether this position is affected, please visithr.arizona.edu/FY-2020-2021-Furlough-Program.
- Collaborates with affiliate DIO’s and residency program directors in developing comprehensive institutional-level policies regarding resident as teacher curriculum, resources, and remediation.
- Works with Associate Dean, Graduate Medical Education to provide leadership to the development of a Residents as Teachers program at the UArizona College of Medicine - Phoenix.
- Collaborates with and coordinate efforts to provide a resident development program with clinical affiliates including new resident orientation.
- Develops events, workshops, programs, seminars, learning communities, and conferences designed to improve teaching, learning, and assessment.
- Designs instructional development workshops and programming for residents and/or graduate students and helps in the delivery of these programs.
- Supports a culture of teaching excellence.
- Consults with department chairs, DIO’s and/or residency program directors regarding resident development and assessment needs and issues.
- Maintains a record of all development activities and generates reports as needed to maintain accreditation standards.
- Serves as a resource to various committees dealing with residents as teachers.
- Must be eligible for MD/DO licensure in Arizona.
- Experience teaching and leading curriculum at the GMElevel.
- MD orDO with experience in the following areas:
- Teaching at the resident level.
- Resident as teacher development issues and programming to support resident teaching.
- Integratingtechnology with pedagogyPreferred Qualifications:
- Experience in undergraduate medical education environmentRank :
To be DeterminedTenure Information:
To Be DeterminedFull Time/Part Time:
Part TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Teaching FacultyBenefits Eligible:
No BenefitsRate of Pay:
AAMC MD Public Schools for SpecialtyCompensation Type:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Type of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
11/29/2020Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
College of Medicine-Phoenix, Office of Human Resources
8/28/2020Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
Faculty selected for this teaching opportunity will be required to obtain faculty status within the appropriate academic department. This will include obtaining letters of recommendation and review by the appropriate College review committee.Diversity Statement:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.