Director, Physician Assistant Program
Senior VP Health SciencesDepartment Website Link:Location:
University of Arizona Health SciencesAddress:
UAHS-Tucson, Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
Note: Effective 01/05/2021 this requisition has been updated to reflect the remove of the furlough program.
The University of Arizona seeks an innovator to serve as the leader and academic officer of a new academic program in Physician Assistant Studies. The successful candidate will be responsible for the day-today operations of the program, including but not limited to: communication, program planning, evaluation and assessment, fiscal management, and faculty development and evaluation. The successful candidate will develop and implement the program’s strategic plan, education, curriculum, research, and clinical education programs and will provide guidance and oversight through the initial and ongoing accreditation processes. Duties include hiring of additional program faculty, student recruitment, budget management, and identification and development of clinical training affiliation agreements.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work‐life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
This position reports to the Sr. Vice President for Health Sciences. The candidate should be prepared to provide evidence of how his/her research, teaching, and service has prepared him/her to join a unique and novel program.
This is a 12-month, academic administrator position with a teaching requirement. Academic rank and tenure are dependent upon qualifications.
• Plan, organize, and implement a professional master’s degree program in Physician Assistant Studies in accordance with the accreditation standards and requirements of the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA).
• Maintain accreditation and ensure professional standards as well as participate in continuous program evaluation and review.
• Recruit qualified faculty and interview, select, train, mentor and evaluate faculty to ensure program support and success.
• Review faculty efforts and offer direction where needed.
• Student recruitment.
• Responsible for day-today operations of the program including communication, planning and fiscal management.
• Implement program’s strategic plan, education, curriculum, research, and clinical education programs.
• The Candidate will have a master’s degree in PA studies with a current NCCPA certification and eligibility for Arizona licensure.
• A minimum of five years of full-time faculty experience and three years of full-time experience in a PA program.
• The successful applicant must also meet the requirements for a faculty appointment as an Assistant/Associate or Full Professor in Medicine and Pharmacy.
• The Candidate will have knowledge of the PA program accreditation process.
• Record of excellence in teaching, scholarship, service and fostering empirical research.• Have a vision and interpersonal skills to build partnerships within and without the PA program, UA Health Sciences and UA at large, and state and regional partners and stakeholders.• Previous accreditation experience is highly desirable.• Previous experience in education leadership such as Program Director, Associate Program Director, Academic Director, Clinical Director or another director-level role.Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:• Demonstrated leadership in PA studies.• Higher education experience.• Knowledge of experiential education and site establishment within the healthcare community.• Skills in locating and securing external funding for a school and program of this nature.FLSA:
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Organizational AdministrationBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Type of criminal background check required::
Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to job duties)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Melissa Colchado, [email protected]Open Date:
8/25/2020Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.