Director of Operations (College of Medicine-Phoenix)
The College of Medicine- Phoenix is seeking a candidate for the Director of Operations to support various Clinical & Research focused Departments. This is a professional position and plays a critical role in financial, operational and strategic management in a highly-matrixed organization and reports to the Associate Dean, Finance and Administration.
The selected candidate is expected to develop and implement processes maximizing efficiency, resources, and mission growth to meet goals of the departments/units they direct. This position plays a pivotal role in managing day-to-day operations requiring attention to detail, strong analytical, technical and logic skills, significant professional judgment, innovation and vision, discretion, and effective time management skills.
The Director of Operations works closely with the Finance team, Office of Human Resources, Information Technology, Campus Management & Operations, Marketing & Communications, and Faculty Affairs, as well as other Departments on campus and the main Tucson Campus. As a member of the executive and leadership team, this position is a crucial team member providing operational and administrative management to faculty and staff.
As a cost-saving measure related to the impact of COVID-19, Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs have been approved by the Arizona Board of Regents. All new hires subject to the programs will be notified in accordance with adopted Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs guidelines and will be required to comply with all measures. To learn more about the programs and whether this position is affected, please visit hr.arizona.edu/FY-2020-2021-Furlough-Program.Duties & Responsibilities
- Under Faculty Leadership direction, develops long and short-range goals and business plans to strategically align department with overall vision of the College.
- Budgeting and financial management of all funding sources (state, grants, designated, gifts/Foundation all academic funding types).
- Typically responsible for a budget (including grants and contracts) of $10-30M.
- Identifies and implements methods to continually improve the quality and efficiency of the operations.
- Develops, maintains and implements policies and procedures.
- Manages and oversees their department's space needs within the university, UAHS and college guidelines.
- Facilitates recruitment, onboarding, retention, off-boarding processes for faculty and staff with key central Campus offices on behalf of Chair to enable successful employee experience and retention.
- Manage time approval process for the department faculty and staff to ensure compliance with university and FLSA policies.
- Facilitate the faculty onboarding and ongoing education process to understand the available resources for research at a university, campus and College level.
- Coordinate with UAHS central offices to assist with pre-award activities.
- Manage post award activity for faculty research success.
- Coordinate with clinical and educational partners to facilitate clinical and educational mission within Department.
- Identifies issues and resolves problems which may impact the department, and directs measures to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Maintains relationships with senior leadership to enable the most effective planning and implementation of operational, administrative, and financial policies and procedures.
- Partners with clinical practice leadership to support goals.
- Acts as liaison with faculty, advisors, administrators and staff from the college and external agencies.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in Finance, business, or related field of study. Master's preferred.
- Minimum of 9 years of related work experience, including 5 years of managerial experience, or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Experience leading a team, project, program, or function is typically required.
FLSAExempt Full Time/Part TimeFull TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week40 Job FTE1.0Work CalendarFiscalJob CategoryFinanceBenefits EligibleYes - Full Benefits Rate of Pay$79,122 - $114,287 annually, Depending on Experience.Compensation Typesalary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE) Grade12 Career Stream and LevelM4Job FamilyAdministrative Operations Job FunctionOrganizational Administration Type of criminal background check required:Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive) Number of Vacancies1 Target Hire Date11/15/2020 Expected End Date Contact Information for CandidatesCollege of Medicine-Phoenix, Office of Human Resources
Application: The online application should be completed in its entirety. Blank or missed information may be considered an incomplete submission.
Letter of Interest: Should clearly indicate how your skills and professional employment experience meet the Minimum and the Preferred qualifications (if applicable).
References: Please list 3 professional references including address, title, phone and email address.
Diversity StatementAt the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.