Community Outreach Assistant II (UPDATED)
Apache County OfficeDepartment Website Link:
County Extensions and FarmsAddress:
Sanders, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
Please note: This position has updated the contact information to 505-870-0827.
This position is located in Sanders, AZ. The Instructional Specialist will work with a team from University of Arizona Cooperative Extension Apache and Gila Counties, Navajo Nation-Window Rock and San Carlos FRTEP and UA campus to develop, promote and deliver a multi-component, culturally responsive, early literacy program throughout four southern Navajo Nation chapters. The Specialist will work with families with young children (birth to 6) to help promote early literacy skills through interactive community events and parent education classes. Also, the incumbent will prepare materials for media sources such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, websites and printed sources, as well as responding to questions and comments on these platforms.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of early literacy and it's importance for a child's development.
- Ability to work independently and autonomously; someone who is a self-starter, reliable and trustworthy
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please visit http://talent.arizona.edu
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist in the development and delivery of early literacy programs for families with infants, toddlers, and children up to age 6, including parents and grandparents.
- Assist and/or organize, promote, coordinate and conduct early literacy programs for the Navajo Chapters of Nahata Dziil Commission Governance (Sanders, AZ) Houck, Wide Ruins and Pine Springs.
- Prepare materials for multi-media sources such as Facebook, Instagram, websites and printed sources and respond to questions and comments posted on Facebook and Instagram.
- Support the collection of evaluation measures, attend weekly zoom meetings, answer inquiries and complete weekly reporting forms.
- Ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
- Familiar with Navajo language and culture.
- Experience working with diverse communities, especially tribal communities.
- Experience working with families with young children and comfortability interacting with young children.
- Experience creating community collaborations and organizing programming with multiple organizations.
Non-ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Part TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Outreach and Community EngagementBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
3Career Stream and Level:
Cmty OutreachJob Function:
Outreach & Community EngageType of criminal background check required::
Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
9/8/2020Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
8/18/2020Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.