Research Specialist (College of Medicine-Phoenix)
The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix is announcing the availability of a Research Specialist position for the laboratory of Dr. Timothy Marlowe in the pre-clinical discovery of Focal Adhesion Kinase (FAK) inhibitors. The successful candidate for this position will have experience in cancer drug discovery techniques, advanced tissue culture techniques, cancer cell biology, biochemistry, protein purification, chromatography, kinase signaling, and molecular biology. Candidate will be responsible for optimizing and running cell-based assays, contributing to SAR studies in collaboration with medicinal chemistry, purification of recombinant proteins, surface plasmon resonance, biochemical assays, general lab maintenance, and other duties as required.
As a cost-saving measure related to the impact of COVID-19, Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs have been approved by the Arizona Board of Regents. All new hires subject to the programs will be notified in accordance with adopted Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs guidelines and will be required to comply with all measures. To learn more about the programs and whether this position is affected, please visit hr.arizona.edu/FY-2020-2021-Furlough-Program.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinates the activities of student workers.
- Performs standard laboratory procedures such as maintainingcell cultures requiring the use of sterile technique, processing tissuesamples.
- Compiles data and assists in routine preliminary analyses;maintains research data in laboratory notebook, writes summary reports andreports findings to investigator.
- Collects samples or data and performs lab analysis and/orquantifies and tabulates results.
- Operates laboratory and experimental equipment.
- Organizes supplies, materials or equipment and sets-upequipment for laboratory experiments or demonstrations; may perform minorequipment maintenance.
- Maintains detailed records of chemicals in the laboratory;packages waste material and arranges for disposal according to establishedprocedures.
- Assists with basic mathematical and statistical analyses.
- Follows established procedures to prepare solutions, mediaand reagents using arithmetical calculations for measuring; performs libraryresearch to find appropriate procedures, as required.
- Cleans glassware and other laboratory equipment or materialsusing appropriate standards; keeps laboratory area clean.
- Performs clerical tasks such as filing, typing, labeling andbilling; inventories and requisitions supplies and materials.
- Assists in training Research/Laboratory Glassware Attendantsand/or students working in the laboratory.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
- Three years of related laboratory or field research experience; OR, any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
FLSANon-Exempt Full Time/Part TimeFull TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week40 Job FTE1.0Work CalendarFiscalJob CategoryResearchBenefits EligibleYes - Full Benefits Rate of Pay$13.068 - $18.15 per hour, Depending on ExperienceCompensation Typehourly rate Grade3 Career Stream and LevelOC2Job FamilyResearch & Lab Job FunctionResearch Type of criminal background check required:Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department) Number of Vacancies1 Target Hire Date10/25/2020 Expected End Date Contact Information for CandidatesCollege of Medicine-Phoenix, Office of Human Resources
Application: The online application should be completed in its entirety. Blank or missed information may be considered an incomplete submission.
Letter of Interest: Should clearly indicate how your skills and professional employment experience meet the Minimum and the Preferred qualifications (if applicable).
References: Please list 3 professional references including address, title, phone and email address.
Diversity StatementAt the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.