Associate Director, Public Affairs (College of Medicine-Phoenix)
The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix is changing the way medical education and research are conducted. As an academic medical center, we are reshaping health care through innovation and collaboration with diverse teams.
We believe that our faculty, students, staff and alumni create our brand - with each project, each interaction, each communication and each discovery. Experience and innovation are critical to the college in regards to not only our students but also our staff, faculty and clinical partners.
The Associate Director, Public Affairs will design and implement strategies that cultivate our relationships with media, engage our target audiences and elevate our brand awareness. As the chief storyteller, you will write effective press releases, engage media to drive earned placement in relevant publications, prepare faculty for interviews both on and off camera, and use innovative ideas to drive PR initiatives that will achieve long-term success. You will coordinate with internal teams to maximize brand consistency in all communication efforts. You will promote and maintain a positive image of the college, serving as spokesperson when needed. Ultimately, you will help establish the college as a leading academic medical center on local, regional and national levels while ensuring strong online and offline brand presence.
As a cost-saving measure related to the impact of COVID-19, Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs have been approved by the Arizona Board of Regents. All new hires subject to the programs will be notified in accordance with adopted Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs guidelines and will be required to comply with all measures. To learn more about the programs and whether this position is affected, please visit hr.arizona.edu/FY-2020-2021-Furlough-Program.Duties & Responsibilities
- Create public relations and communications strategy, cultivate and maintain strong relationships with media, government and industry leaders, manage content creation and editorial services, track and influence media coverage. Nurture relationships with faculty and develop understanding of their expertise. Maximize brand presence through earned media and serve as media spokesperson.
- Develop communications policies and crisis communications to manage public relations issues as needed.
- Provide day-to-day coordination with news media, author effective pitches and press releases for distribution to local, regional and national media sources, respond to media inquiries by identifying experts and arranging interviews. Arrange news conferences and other media events.
- Develop internal communications projects including the dean’s message, faculty announcements, statements, newsletter, calendar releases and social media content. Manage content creation, editorial services, write news and feature articles for internal and external publications.
- Manage and coordinate activities of public affairs staff. Support their professional relationships with media and leaders from the college to maximize media placements. Ensure brand consistency in all communications.
- Integrate communication distribution to multiple channels to expand the reach of storytelling efforts, including social media, web content, professional publications and news media.
- Work cross functionally with UAHS Communications to elevate the reach and influence of communications on behalf of the college.
- Provide planning and coordination of public and community outreach events to increase awareness of the College of Medicine - Phoenix, including Mini Medical School, Connect2STEM, campus town halls, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of related work experience, including 2 years of managerial experience, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Application: The online application should be completed in its entirety. Blank or missed information may be considered an incomplete submission.
Letter of Interest: Should clearly indicate how your skills and professional employment experience meet the Minimum and the Preferred qualifications (if applicable).
References: Please list 3 professional references including address, title, phone and email address.
Diversity StatementAt the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.