Department Chair, Anesthesiology (Associate Professor/Professor) (T/TE)
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
As a cost-saving measure related to the impact of COVID-19, a furlough and pay reduction program has been approved by the Arizona Board of Regents. All new hires subject to the plan will be notified in accordance with adopted furlough and pay reduction program guidelines and will be required to comply with all measures. To learn more about the furlough and pay reduction program and whether this position is affected, please visit hr.arizona.edu.Duties & Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be an academic anesthesiologist with a national reputation and a substantial record of research, teaching, clinical, and administrative accomplishments. He or she will have the knowledge and ability to effectively lead physicians and other health professionals, researchers, and educators while embracing the values of quality and financial sustainability. The Chair will have the opportunity to recruit new faculty and reinvigorate scholarship for the department.
Candidates must have the leadership experience required to oversee a busy clinical department. Integrity, intellect, the ability to work collaboratively with numerous stakeholders, and a vision of how a modern academic department of anesthesiology thrives in an age of health reform are essential.
- Establish a vision, tactical strategy and business modelwith the appropriate operating infrastructure to ensure clinical operations areeffective, service oriented and efficient.
- Work in collaboration with theclinical department chairs to expand efficient, high quality clinicalanesthesiology services and programs at Banner - University Medicine affiliatedteaching hospitals and clinics such that the Department of Anesthesiology isrecognized as a premier provider of anesthesia services in the region.
- Provide leadership that promotes professional development ofexisting faculty members and attracts highly motivated and exceptional faculty,staff and trainees to the department. Ensure the department is recruiting thebest faculty and staff to meet its strategic goals.
- Coach, mentor and develop others to build internalleadership capabilities for succession. Develop the next generation ofphysician leadership in the department.
- Foster a culture of interdisciplinary research throughcollaboration with affiliated departments and centers and expand aninfrastructure that fosters research productivity.
- Establish appropriate communication channels with faculty,staff and administration that result in trust, alignment and collaborativeworking relationships in the pursuit of improved department cohesion and teamenvironment.
- Develop key institutional partnerships and strategic relationshipsand define and pursue interdisciplinary clinical and research goals that alignwith the university, health sciences, COM-T, and Banner Health strategic goals.
- Create, implement and maintain defined standard objectivesfor clinical operation quality, surgical outcomes, patient access, financialtargets and volume growth.
- Oversee departmental budgeting and resource management, meetdepartmental financial goals, and enact policies and processes that promotefiscal accountability and responsibility.
- As the educational leader of the department, ensure anexcellent teaching program for the students, residents, and fellows who arereceiving education and training within the department.
- Identify new and expand existing sources of funding,including extramural clinical and translational research grants, philanthropyand clinical revenue.
- Develop partnerships in the region to enhance the clinicaloperations and ensure a high value experience for patients and referringproviders. Monitor and consistently work to improve clinical quality.
- Serve as a spokesperson and advocate for the department,both in the university, across Banner Health and in the community.
- Assure implementation of university policies pertaining tofaculty governance and evaluation and actively enhance diversity.
- Be accountable for compliance with Joint Commission, federaland state accreditation requirements, as well as compliance with university andcollege policies and procedures.
- An MD or equivalent medical degree from an accredited institutionwith board certification in Anesthesiology.
- Ability to obtain licensure in Arizona.
- Must meet UArizona criteria for appointment to a tenured ortenure eligible senior level faculty position.
- Proven and substantial leadership experience is required, as is the ability to be a collaborative leader in a rapidly evolving model of care.
Preferred QualificationsNational/international reputation as a respected and accomplished researcher, clinician and educator who meets UArizona criteria for a tenured/ tenure eligible senior level faculty position. Proven, substantial and progressive leadership achievement in an academic medical center. Evidence of an astute understanding of academic clinical practice and a deep commitment to clinical excellence based on a patient-centered model of care. Demonstrated understanding of finances in healthcare administration and academic medicine. Evidence of success in developing a strong clinical program that recognizes and meets the needs of the various providers with whom the department works, those of the students that the department educates and trains, as well as those of the patients whom the department serves. Record of success in mentoring and developing faculty, students and trainees, and supporting them in their academic, teaching and clinical endeavors. Track record as a creative and strategic thinker who is able to envision and manage for the future. Evidence of success in leading and developing excellent graduate medical education programs. Demonstrated ability to build and lead teams, and to develop strong ties and connections with internal and external constituencies and individuals.FLSAExemptFull Time/Part TimeFull TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week40+ Job FTE1.0Work CalendarFiscalJob CategoryFacultyBenefits EligibleYes - Full BenefitsRate of PayDOE, commensurate with AAMC benchmarksCompensation Typesalary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE) Type of criminal background check required:Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department) Number of Vacancies1 Target Hire Date1/4/2021 Expected End Date Contact Information for Candidates[email protected] Open Date8/12/2020Open Until FilledYesDocuments Needed to ApplyNo DocumentsSpecial Instructions to ApplicantApplications will not be accepted through the Talent applicant system.
Confidential inquiries, nominations, expressions of interest and candidate materials (including a letter of interest and CV) should be submitted via email to the University of Arizona’s search consultants, Jeff Schroetlin and Kerry Quealy, at [email protected]; phone 630-575-6159. Materials which cannot be emailed should be addressed to: C/o Jeff Schroetlin at Witt/Kieffer 2015 Spring Rd., Suite 510 Oak Brook, IL 60523 Fax: 630-990-1382Applications should be submitted by August 19, 2020 for full consideration. Applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged.Diversity StatementAt the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.