Extension Professional III
As a cost-saving measure related to the impact of COVID-19, Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs have been approved by the Arizona Board of Regents. All new hires subject to the programs will be notified in accordance with adopted Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs guidelines and will be required to comply with all measures. To learn more about the programs and whether this position is affected, please visit hr.arizona.edu/FY-2020-2021-Furlough-Program.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more! The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and direction for the Arizona Meteorological Network including supervision of staff, managing accounts, interacting with partners and seeking and procuring funding to sustain and expand network operations.
- Monitoring the querying of observations across the network and identifying potentially erroneous data before it is committed to a database.
- Developing quality assurance/quality control procedures specific to the AZMET network based on variables collected at each station.
- Developing and interacting with databases and developing custom scripts to develop QA/QC routines.
Information product development:
- Developing custom information products using AZMET data like crop development advisories, irrigation scheduling reports, and other web-based bulletins.
- Developing web-based applications using various programming languages (e.g. Python) that allow custom visualization and processing of AZMET data to support interpretation for different types of users and decision makers.
Meteorological station installation and maintenance:
- Assisting other AZMET personnel with installing new meteorological stations, performing maintenance on existing stations and testing new station equipment.
- This will require travel to distant stations and possible overnight stays and potentially working in extreme desert conditions (hot and cold, dusty).
Customer service and support:
- Answer questions posed by AZMET users related to technical network questions and general meteorological questions. Provide public presentations that describe to network, its utility and applications of data.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience is typically required.
- Masters Degree in a related field
Open Date8/24/2020Open Until FilledYesDocuments Needed to ApplyResume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant Diversity StatementAt the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.