Pathway Navigator, High School
To advance the college’s mission, vision, principles, values and strategic initiatives through continuous improvement decisions.
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
Under limited supervision, the pathway navigator will plan, develop, implement, and provide individual and group assistance to high school completion students in career awareness and career development activities at the Kirkwood Center for Lifelong Learning as well as the Iowa City Learning Center. This position will also collaborate with learning center and other Kirkwood staff to develop, implement and evaluate transition programming for high school completion students. The navigator will lead student intake courses and assist as necessary with student information sessions. The position will also meet one-on-one with students in career counseling sessions.
UNIVERSAL CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Advocate for Continual Improvement- empowering each other to identify opportunities for excellence.Collaborate with Mutual Accountability- working together with a willingness to take ownership and account for our actions. Champion Service- anticipating needs and create a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive environment. Perseverance- commitment to excellence even in the face of adversity or delay in achieving success. Lead- regardless of title, through positive influence.
- Assist students and Kirkwood staff with programing related to student entry, course of study selection, career planning, and transitioning to further Kirkwood educational opportunities.Plan and instruct day and evening student intake courses at the Kirkwood Center for Lifelong Learning and the Iowa City Learning Center.Partner with other Kirkwood staff and programs including, PACE, GAP, Continuing Education and Project START/FINISH, in the development and delivery of transition programing for high school completion students.Collaborate with partner agencies in coordination with other Pathway Navigators on the referral of eligible students for support services or sponsorship, providing progress reports and billings when necessary.Work with students on an individual and group basis to provide career counseling services.Serve as back-up for student information sessions, learning center coverage, and assist high school completion program staff with student assessment, including CASAS testing.Perform other related work duties as assigned.
- Be able and willing to represent the Kirkwood Community College in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve.Possess the ability to develop and implement tracking systems, policies and procedures to serve a wide range of students with varying backgrounds, abilities and personalities effectively and evaluation student outcomes. Assume responsibility, deal effectively with problems, and exercise independent judgment when making decisions, acting act responsibly in the absence of the Director of the High School Completion Program.Establish and maintain good working relationships with students, colleagues, and the general public.Read, understand and express oneself clearly and effectively in oral and written communication.Ability to use computer systems for word processing, database management, and website enhancement.Welcome, value, and nurture people of all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, as well as support and promote an environment that accepts differences.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WITH/WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION:
Position involves working in an office setting. Occasional (10-33%) standing, pushing, pulling and grasping. Frequent (34-66%) reaching and viewing a computer and other types of close visual work. Constant (67-100%) sitting, walking, repetitive motion, talking and hearing.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3 years of experience working in education or related field.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Preferred qualifications include prior experience working in career counseling or advising.
Kirkwood Community College shall not engage in nor allow unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment. This includes all employment practices, hiring practices, and unwelcome harassment of applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, genetic information or actual or potential parental, family, marital status or veteran status. If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with the policy, please contact the Vice President of Human Resources at Kirkwood Community College, 313 Kirkwood Hall, 6301 Kirkwood Blvd., SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404, Telephone: 319-398-5572, Email: [email protected] or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison St., Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661-7204, Telephone: 312-730-1560, Fax: 312-730-1576, Email: [email protected]