Sterile Processing Technician
Job location: Medical Center (Charlottesville, VA)
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-18
Performs and participates in decontamination cleaning assembling packaging scanning sterilization storage and distribution of reusable surgical instrumentation and equipment.
- Prepares and assembles surgical trays and equipment following established tray listings for issue storage or further processing (such as sterilization).
- Monitors reads documents and interprets all parameters for all types of sterilizers to ensure proper function (ETO Steam Steris and Sterrad).
- Cleans and decontaminates reusable equipment instruments and supplies manually and mechanically (Hand Washing Washer/Sterilizer Ultrasonic Cleaner Scope Washer Cart Washer).
- Distributes all sterile and non-sterile supplies and medical equipment upon request or through case cart requisitions.
- Operates the departmental bar code system to maintain records for surgical trays and instruments received processed and distributed (SPM Tracking System).
In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Education: High School Graduate or Equivalent.
Experience: 1 year or relevant experience preferred
Licensure: : Certification as CRCST (Certified Registered Central Sterile Technician) through IAHCSMM OR certification as CSPDT (Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician) through CBSPD required within 12 months of hire. For team members hired prior to February 1, 2019, certification as CRCST (Certified Registered Central Sterile Technician) through IAHCSMM OR certification as CSPDT (Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician) through CBSPD is required by January 31, 2021.
Job requires sitting/standing for prolonged periods, frequently bending/stooping/walking and reaching (overhead, extensive, repetitive). Proficient communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail and ability to write legibly; Ability to lift/push/pull 25-50lbs. Working in environment with fumes, chemicals, vibrations, heat, noise, blood/body fluids and infectious disease.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.