Director, Human Resources
Job DetailsLevel SeniorJob Location Wheeling University - Wheeling, WVPosition Type Full TimeEducation Level 4 Year DegreeSalary Range UndisclosedTravel Percentage NegligibleJob Shift AnyJob Category Human ResourcesDescription
Wheeling University is in search of its next Human Resources Director. The Human Resources Director will serve, administer, and manage all aspects of the University's human capital and talent management practices. The Human Resources Director will support the University's mission and strategic plan in the following ways:
- Administer a Human Resources strategy for operations, implementation of programs and coordination of HR processes, systems, policies and procedures pertaining to all HR activities and services that advance the University’s mission and support the well-being of its employees.
- Assist in developing and planning objectives to identify competency, knowledge and talent gaps and develop specific programs for the filling of the gaps. Areas of activity will include talent management, training programs and other developmental programs for University employees.
- Manage the administration of University compensation and benefit programs.
- Develop strong working relationships with all levels of management and staff to provide support to a variety of organizational units in a wide range of HR specializations using an interpersonal style that is solution oriented and engages individuals from all backgrounds/levels of the organization.
- Provide employee relations counseling, mediation and coaching for employees and managers.
- Manage employee relations matters including the investigation and resolution of ongoing employee relations issues and employee complaints. Anticipate issues whenever possible and develop, recommend and initiate appropriate steps for resolution.
- Ongoing relationship management with vendors, ensuring compliance with procedure and practice, coordination training and ongoing Committee initiatives as appointed.
- Interpret and review all regulations and policies related to HR activities and advise senior administration on improvement and revisions.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensure University compliance.
- Ability to maintain objectivity and independence is responding to HR matters.
- Ability to evaluate best practices in Human Resources, initiate change and lead improvement efforts through innovative ideas and technology.
- Supervise all staff in the Office of Human Resources.
- Provide excellent customer service in a courteous manner.
- Possess team building and leadership skills and be a team player.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with seven to ten years’ related experience or training; or a Master’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Management, Public Administration or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in Human Resources Management.
- Knowledge of relevant state and federal employment laws and compliance requirements applicable to Human Resources.
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) and exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Effective time management skills.
- Exceptional analytical, evaluative, research and other critical thinking skills to arrive at valid conclusions and make recommendations and action plans.
- Strong work ethic, character and personal integrity with ability to work with professionalism, discretion and confidentiality.
- A demonstrated record of leadership in human resources, preferably in a University setting.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in higher education.
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification.
- Excellent organizational and project management capability, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with human resources information systems development and the application of best practice stands for HR information systems.
- Exceptional ability to work collaboratively in supporting a variety organizational needs within a wide range of HR specializations.