STERILE PROCESSING SUPERVISOR
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Job Title: STERILE PROCESSING SUPERVISOR
Job Code: 4607
Job Level: D2
Revised Date: 10/01/2019
Supervisory Responsibility: Yes
General Description of the Job Class
Directly supervises sterile processing personnel during specified shifts, facilitating staff and departmental efficiencies while monitoring the daily operations of the department to ensure that appropriate quality and productivity levels are achieved. Ensures compliance with infection control policies and AAMI, AORN, and Joint Commission standards. Acts as a liaison between the OR and SPD, facilitating all instrumentation being ready on time, supporting all customers of the department. Assures compliance with infection control and sterilization standards, ensuring that sterilization practices and all equipment used for decontamination and sterilization meet quality standards. Assists staff with performance improvement. Supervisory responsibilities include staff selection, orientation/onboarding, performance evaluation, counseling, and staff development.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Schedules and supervises the work of assigned staff to ensure smooth workflow in the department.
- Schedules staff in accordance with department needs.
- Acts as a knowledge resource to staff in matters of department processes, technical skills, equipment, supplies and/or regulatory requirements.
- Selects, trains and manages the performance of staff.
- Provides daily direction to staff.
- Sets goals for individuals and for the team.
- Acts as a mentor and coach and provides development and growth opportunities for staff.
- Coordinate and maintain departmental workflow in decontamination, the inspection of instruments/trays, cleaning, assembling and packaging of surgical instruments, medical/surgical materials and equipment.
- Proficiency in utilization of instrumentation bar code tracking systems (SPM, Epic and Dove Tree).
- Monitors inventory of supplies, equipment.
- Coordinate procurement and stocking activities.
- Analyze usage patterns of supplies and recommend optimal par levels.
- Assists in developing goals, targets and action plans.
- Facilitates timely ordering of instrumentation and supplies.
- Identifies opportunities for cost reduction and expense control.
- Provides management with information for forecasting future instrumentation/equipment needs.
- Track and document lost or damaged equipment and supplies.
- Identifies opportunities to improve work processes and enable achievement of goals in quality, productivity and customer satisfaction.
- Provides a forum for staff involvement in problem identification and resolutions.
- Develops and implements solutions to address opportunities to improve quality, safety, efficiency and productivity.
- Provides for ongoing communications with staff and ancillary departments.
- Participates in hospital teams, as assigned, in order to share information, problem solve, and evaluate the impact of services to receiving departments.
Required Qualifications at this Level
- Associate's degree in a related field preferred.
- Two years of sterile processing leadership experience may be substituted for the Associate's degree. This experience is separate from the requirements outlined in the Experience section.
- Minimum of three years of experience as a Sterile Processing Technician to include either one year of previous leadership experience in a team lead/supervisory or peer leadership capacity.
- In addition to extensive SPD knowledge, other skillsets preferred are as follows; strong customer service, team building, multitasking, attention to detail, organization, and with demonstrated communication skills (diplomacy and tact).
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
- Current certification as a Sterile Processing Technician through an accredited organization (CRCST- Certified Registered Central Service Tech, IAHCSMM, or Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician CBSPD)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.