Government Relations Officer
Posting DetailsPosition TitleGovernment Relations OfficerRequisition NumberSCA00402General Description
Reporting directly to the President, the Government Relations Officer provides leadership in the development and implementation of legislative and governmental relations strategies that align with and advance the College’s mission, strategic direction and key institutional priorities. This position monitors, analyzes and interprets government policies, and evaluates the potential impact to the College’s operations, while collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that the College’s public policy interests are being promoted in a strategic and comprehensive manner.Specific Responsibilities
• Provide leadership in the development and implementation of legislative and governmental relations strategies that align with and advance the College’s mission, strategic direction and key institutional priorities as established by the College’s President.
• Advance the College’s priorities at the legislative, executive, regional, state and local levels of government by working with elected and key appointed officials, and their staff to drive and implement the College’s policy ideas into policies and legislation.
• As directed by the President, represent the College with members of Congress, federal and local government administrators, governors, county executives, and mayor, including establishing and maintaining relationships with officials at all levels of government and their staff.
• Monitor, analyze and interpret government policies and evaluate the impact to the College’s operations.
• Conduct communications and interact with government officials and agencies on behalf of the College.
• In collaboration with the Marketing and Communications department, assist in the development of policy reports and rapid-response documents in a manner that makes them relevant to applicable government officials, committees and agencies, and community based groups.
• Serve as a liaison between the legislative entities and the College, and provide coordination for any related queries.
• Plan and execute events and other activities to support the College’s government relations goals, and oversee all lobbying and advocacy efforts to promote the College’s priorities before federal agencies to ensure coordinated messaging.
• Actively participate as the College’s representative for relevant national associations.
• Review internal policies, plans, and programs to ensure consistency with corresponding government regulations and laws.
• Provide the President and the Executive team with regular reports on opportunities and legislation affecting College policies.
• Collaborate with key internal departments on College-wide priorities that align or intersect with government and community relations.
• Perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with the mission, goals, and core values of the College.
• Perform other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications
• High School diploma required.
• Related experience at a senior leadership level required.
• Excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills required.
• Knowledge of local, state, and federal legislative and executive processes; public affairs principles and practices required.
• Demonstrated leadership skills and abilities required.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail required.
• Ability to travel, as needed, required.
• Ability to work collaboratively with individuals at all levels within the College required.
• Ability to effectively communicate and influence elected officials, policymakers, agency heads, program managers, and external stakeholders required.
• An understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college staff and students required.Preferred Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred. Any and all degrees must be from a recognized institutional accreditor.
• Five (5) to seven (7) years’ experience in governmental relations, public relations or a closely related field preferred.
• Related experience at a senior leadership level within higher education preferred.
• Strong appreciation and understanding of the mission and role of community colleges preferred.Work LocationMain CampusBenefitsSpecial Instructions to Applicants
*Interested persons should complete an online application.
*Cover letter of interest and resume REQUIRED.
*Names and contact information of 3 professional references OPTIONAL.
Review of applications will commence on August 3, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Community College of Philadelphia is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Equal Access Employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally underrepresented groups.Salary Grade or RankVIISalary RangeSalary commensurate with relevant work experienceJob Posting Open Date07/13/2020Job Posting Close DateType of PositionAdministratorJob CategoryEmployment Status Full-TimeSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about Community College of Philadelphia?
- The Chronicle
- Veterans Job Fair
- Professional & Technology Diversity Career Fair
- AL DIA - Diversity Career Fair
- Community College of Philadelphia Website
- * If your answer to the above question is Other, please note the source below. If this question does not apply to you, enter N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is the highest level of education you have completed?
- No Response
- High School/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- * Do you have a minimum of seven (7) years' experience in governmental relations, public relations or a closely related field?
- * Do you have related experience at a senior leadership level?
- * Do you have related experience at a senior leadership level within higher education?
- * Do you have a strong appreciation and understanding of the mission and role of community colleges?
- * Do you have knowledge of local, state, and federal legislative and executive processes; public affairs principles and practices?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application