Job location: Colby College
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-08-28
Job DescriptionDepartment:Multimedia ProductionPay Rate Type:SalaryEmployee Type:Job Summary:Colby is seeking an innovative, ambitious, and creative multimedia producer who is enthusiastic about creating compelling multimedia — video, photos, and all of their evolving forms — for Colby’s online audiences and platforms.
This individual will have a background in, and passion for, multimedia storytelling, an intense curiosity about the world, an extraordinary degree of self-motivation, and the willingness to work within a team. By understanding and respecting the kind of learning that happens at liberal arts colleges, the multimedia producer will work closely with Colby students, faculty, alumni, and staff to plan and execute digital storytelling on the web and social media.
Colby is a global community of scholars, thinkers, artists, entrepreneurs, and visionaries; this position will tell these stories to the world, so some travel may be required. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Tell Colby stories passionately through original storytelling, with an emphasis on producing and editing video
- Develop, plan, and execute video projects, including scouting, storyboarding, talent identification, production requirements (i.e. equipment, staffing needs), and budget management
- Plan and capture photography for digital content aligned with the College’s key messages
- Produce and edit other digital content for web, social media, events, and other channels
- Contribute to content and coverage needs around Colby events, initiatives, and announcements
- Monitor analytics data to recommended data-driven approaches for creation and distribution
- Drive growth of Colby’s social media audience and support expansion into new platforms
- Continuously strengthen individual capabilities by staying current with best multimedia practices, new/emerging technologies, and visual media techniques
- Work with fellow communications staff to create innovative visual concepts for communication channels
- Maintain ongoing, positive dialogue during creative development with supervisor and internal partners
- Participate in numerous ongoing and future Office of Communications related projects
- Adhere to deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in education and experience
- Two years or more experience in multimedia creation in a communications and/or marketing environment
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite 6 including Premier, Final Cut Pro, or other professional editing software preferred
- Understanding and appreciation for liberal arts education preferred
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to clearly articulate visual design concept, establish and maintain effective working relations, and work with a culturally diverse population
- Ability to take feedback and creative criticism professionally, using it to refine projects
- Highly organized, attentive to detail, technically proficient
- High energy, creative initiative, and flexibility of scheduling is essential
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, an extraordinary degree of self-motivation, a natural tendency toward collaboration, deep respect for the kind of learning that happens at Colby, and a commitment to contributing to a high-functioning, best-in-class communications office
- Must take initiative and utilize strong time management skills to be able to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Proven ability to work autonomously, swiftly, and effectively on multiple projects; ability to take direction when needed
- Excellent troubleshooting skills to diagnose and minimize technical issues in order to optimize shooting time
- Valid driver’s license required and must meet the College’s Fleet Safety Policy requirements as well as the ability to travel with photo/video gear when required
This position has significant interaction with students, faculty, staff, the public, and community.
Position involves sitting, although frequent movement is necessary and lifting up to 25+ pounds. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the "Apply" button on the Colby College website. Please submit a letter of interest including salary requirements, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
Multimedia Producer - Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855