Posting DetailsVacancy TypeSHRAIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime Limited?NoTime-Limited Appointment LengthTitleUniversity Program SpecialistBand LevelAdvancedWorking TitlePre-Award ManagerSalary Range$31,888 - $80,223Anticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with Experience.Salary Grade Equivalency74Position Number00060674Work ScheduleMon - Fri / 8am - 5pmDoes the regular and recurring schedule of this position result in the employee working more than ½ of their hours between 4 pm and 8 am? (Meal periods do not count).NoFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department110305 - CALS Business OperationsDepartmentCALS Business OperationsJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The CALS Business Operations (CBO) is an administrative unit within the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and has oversight of the College’s centralized financial and research administration services including, Business Services, Budgets and Planning, Research Administration, and Operational Support. The CBO’s mission is to provide exceptional customer service while supporting efficient and ethical use of resources. The CBO upholds the academic, research, and extension goals and initiatives of the CALS community. The CBO is committed to providing exemplary and responsive customer care, to serving as subject matter expert regarding applicable state, university and federal policies, procedures, rules and regulations, and to achieving and maintaining operational excellence.
With expertise, we strategically facilitate processing financial transactions, managing research programs, and allocating budgets for our CALS community through collaboration, communication, and technology.
Be an exceptional partner through relationship building, collaboration, and communication.
Think outside the box by challenging standards, creating innovative solutions, and engaging stakeholders.
Foster high performing groups by strategically recruiting, continuously training, and emphasizing retention.
Honesty & Integrity; we strive to do the right things, the right way, whether seen or unseen.
Atmosphere of Respect: We support an open exchange of ideas in a climate of respect and dignity.
Ownership: We encourage individuals to be responsible, think critically and identify solutions.
Exceptional Customer Support: We strive to exceed our customers’ expectations with every interaction.
Continuous Improvement: We continuously review and improve our business practices both individually and organizationally.
CALS Contracts & Grants, (Office of Research Office Administration), resides under the CALS CBO umbrella and provides complete cradle to grave sponsored program administration and support in identifying funding sources, assisting faculty with proposal development, monitoring/overseeing management of sponsored projects, while ensuring university compliance with contract/grant fiscal and regulatory requirements. CALS C&G is the administrative unit responsible for ensuring the college remains in compliance with federal and state policies pertaining to research. CALS C&G is the contact point for federal and state audits, both fiscal and programmatic, on contracts and grants awarded in/to the college. This service office is designed to serve all faculty and staff needs for externally funded projects and programs.Essential Job Duties
This position plans, coordinates and manages the pre-award functions in the contracts and grants unit of the business center. During the proposal development phase this position works with the proposal consultants and faculty to develop and review a proposal budget and its accompanying narrative for appropriateness to sponsor guidelines. Last year there were over 800 proposals submitted through CALS C&G.
- Responsibilities include the assignment of tasks to consultants for research project proposals review and submissions.
- Responsibilities also include assisting consultants and researchers with project proposals, budget analysis and review, and submissions.
- Duties include advising on budgeting operational expenditures and associated justifications, reviewing salary distributions prior to submission and assists departments as needed with financial projections.
- Coordination of pre-award management issues, questions and procedures with other university offices is a critical role for this position.
- In addition to approving cost share calculations and resolving a multitude of other issues, this position interacts with every department in CALS. CALS C&G is the college authority to accept grants and contracts, request subcontracts, review grant expenditures and other activities that support externally funded research on behalf of CALS.
- This position represents the university and/or college during discussions with external agencies and institutions.
Represents the college at professional meetings. Take an active role in professional organizations to enhance resources and the visibility and reputation of the university.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience/Education
Bachelor’s degree and one year of experience related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Departmental Required Skills
- Extensive knowledge of business administration and accounting practices, including budgeting and forecasting.
- Strong understanding of personnel budgeting.
- Ability to plan and direct the work of others; must be highly organized and flexible in managing the workload.
- Ability to analyze and interpret policy and procedural guidelines to resolve issues; ability to analyze financial transactions.
- Ability to make decisions independently, exercise judgment.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse cross section of people and communicate complex information is key.
- Able to demonstrate professional customer service skills and train a team of consultants.
- Microsoft Excel and Word, strong written and oral communication skills.
Bachelor’s degree and three years of related experience; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Required License or Certification
Applicant required documents: Cover Letter, Resume, Contact Information for ReferencesJob Open Date08/28/2020Must Be Open Until---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)09/04/2020Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date10/01/2020Alternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Radio / Television Advertisement
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the University Program Specialist position.
- Bachelor's degree and one year of related experience
- Master's degree or Doctorate in any field
- Associate's degree and at least 3 years of related experience
- Combination of post-high school education and/or experience in a related area to equal at least 5 years (ex: 1 year of college and 4 years of experience)
- High school diploma/GED and at least 5 years of related experience
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and related experience to equal 9 years (ex. 1 year of high school and 8 years experience)
- None of the above
- * Please briefly describe your relevant experience preparing and processing proposals including generating budgets and justifications, pre-award management of fiscal activities, and monitoring cost sharing and research effort.
(Open Ended Question)
- * In the space below, please describe a time where you were given multiple projects to complete and how you managed those projects to ensure they were completed on time?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please briefly describe your experience working with PeopleSoft Financials and HR or other similar applicable financial software systems.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References