Assistant Softball Coach
Assistant Softball Coach
Posting #: 2669
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Athletics, Administrator
Position Title & Department:Assistant Softball Coach; Women's SoftballPosting #
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.Detailed Description:
The Assistant Softball Coach will assist in all aspects of the program, including recruiting, practice/game planning and coaching, individual skill development, and administrative tasks.
- Assist head coach with teaching, coaching and development
- Primarily instruct pitchers and catchers.
- Develop players by teaching, coaching and demonstrating.
- Utilize video to break down and evaluate individuals, games and practices. Review video with individuals and team.
- Assist with defense, especially pitchers’ and catchers’ responsibilities
- Understand overall program philosophy, know drills and their purpose.
- Teach with enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
- Be a positive role model and be available for the student-athletes.
- Responsibility for recruiting academically and athletically qualified student-athletes for admission to the University with adherence to admissions and athletic department policies and procedures.
- Assist head coach in all aspects of recruiting.
- Understand and keep up to date regarding NCAA/conference/league rules as they pertain to recruiting and eligibility.
- Identify and evaluate high school and junior college talent through evaluation at games, tournaments, and film.
- Weekly phone conversations with prospects.
- Recruit their centers of influence. o Input and organize recruits through online system.
- Transcript request—The most influential piece of information in the recruiting process. Letter to registrar. Follow-up calls to counselors.
- Work with USD Senior Associate AD, Associate AD for Academics and admissions staff in an effective and efficient manner.
- Unofficial visits—Persuade local prospects (San Diego and Los Angeles) to visit us so we can get to know them.
- Campus visits—Arrange travel for our recruits. Coordinate the involvement of our players. Eat meals with recruits. Arrange an academic meeting with a department person in their field of interest and an academic class with one of the players. Tour campus.
- Follow-up—Respond to leads and inquiries in a timely fashion. - (Primary)
- Oversee student athlete resources
- Academic support: Assist in communication with academic support contact in regard to grades, class checks, study hall hours, tutors, etc.
- Strength and conditioning: Communicate progress with strength and conditioning coach.
- Have a presence during team’s strength and Conditioning workouts.
- Sports medicine: Assist with communication with sports medicine staff in regard to injury updates, limitations, rehab plans, etc.
- Supplies, equipment and Nike orders
- Assist with budgeting apparel, uniform and equipment orders. Work with equipment manager to place and receive orders.
- Alumni relations
- Send monthly emails to keep alumni connected to the program.
- Provide updates on team achievements, schedule and upcoming events.
- Help organize one to two softball alumni events per year (alumni game or social event).
- Assist head coach with scouting opponents.
- Organize and evaluate hitting/pitching charts and statistics.
- Prepare scouting report and present information in team meetings.
- Coordinate ground transportation (reserving minivans or USD bus).
- Assist with itinerary and restaurant reservations.
- File expense report for team travel.
- General assignments
- Involvement with all administrative and organizational aspects of NCAA Division I program under the supervision of the head coach.
- The coordination of all University academic policies and responsibilities for counseling student-athletes relative to academic success, progress and eligibility.
- Knowledge of and adherence to all University, NCAA, and conference rules and regulations, policies and procedures, with special attentions to recruiting, eligibility, admissions, and financial aid.
- Enforce University and athletic department policies and regulations in regard to use/abuse of alcohol and drugs by team members.
- Foster and maintain positive student body and faculty relationships.
- Work with head coach to prepare and organize a representative schedule for approval by the sport supervisor and the director of athletics. Consideration should be given to the academic life of student-athletes, i.e., missed class time, examination periods and other factors that would adversely affect their academic success.
- Maintain professional growth through meetings, clinics, workshops, etc.
- Assist in the organization of team banquet for student-athletes and compile highlight video.
- Assist with organization, preparation and coaching USD summer camps.
- Assist with field maintenance.
- Assist with fundraising goal.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- At least one year of related experience in the sport required
- Heartsaver CPR /AED certification required. Must have this certificate within 6 weeks of employment.
- Must pass NCAA Division I Coaches Recruiting Test, (yearly). Must complete this within 6 weeks of employment.
- California driver’s license required within 6 weeks of employment.
- Understanding of NCAA rules and regulations strongly preferred.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively with athletes, members of the University community, San Diego community, and all media.
- Possess good management skills
- Ability to understand the goals and responsibilities of running a successful athletic program at the NCAA Division I level.
- Represent the University in a professional and responsible manner; excellent interpersonal skills.
- Adherence to and appreciation for NCAA/conference/league regulations and ability to instill those values in subordinates and students.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to travel for extended periods of time for athletic and recruiting events.
- Successful completion of required background checks.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.Posting Salary:
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions: Resume Required, Cover Letter Preferred Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. You are also strongly recommended to upload a cover letter to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected] Additional Details:
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: August 28, 2020 Pacific Daylight Time