Academic Associate Dean
Position DetailsUNT System Overview
Welcome to the University of North Texas System, or UNT World as we like to call ourselves. UNT World includes the University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas at Dallas and the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth. We are the only university system based exclusively in the robust Dallas-Fort Worth region and we are committed to transforming lives and creating economic opportunity through education. Over the past decade, combined UNTS enrollment has grown by more than 25 percent to nearly 44,000 students.Classification TitleAcademic Assoc DeanPosting TitleAcademic Associate DeanDepartmentDAL-CoL Dean's Off-517000Job LocationDowntown DallasDepartment Summary
The UNT Dallas College of Law is a public law school in downtown Dallas with a full-time day division and a part-time evening division. The College of Law’s goals are: (1) widening access to legal education for those who could be superb legal professionals but who cannot realistically access a legal education given factors including location, cost, and the current role of the LSAT in admission to and financing of law school; (2) providing an educational program focused on excellence in developing practice-related competencies, through a curriculum mapped to those competencies and using best instructional practices, including multiple formative and summative assessment throughout, engaged class design, and a spectrum of experiential education; (3) creating opportunity for our students by keeping tuition and debt low and producing graduates with high value and ability in multiple segments of the market for legal services; (4) becoming a national leader in advancing understanding of best legal education practices, of professional formation, and of the relationship between legal education and the evolving practice and business of law; (5) improving access to justice for underserved legal needs; and (6) serving as a valuable partner in civic engagement with the City of Dallas and the North Texas region.Salary InformationSalary Commensurate With ExperiencePosition Summary
The UNT Dallas College of Law welcomes applications from experienced law school professors who are interested in serving in the role of the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. The position is expected to begin in Summer 2021 for the 2021 – 2022 academic year.
The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs serves as the principal steward of, and manages and directs, the College of Law’s academic affairs, including curriculum development, faculty mentoring, class scheduling, faculty workload assignment, program assessment, program development and leadership, student advisement, and committee leadership.
The Associate Dean also serves as a strategic advisor to the College of Law’s Dean, represents the College of Law to the outside community, and facilitates coordination of all academic affairs with the UNT Dallas and UNT System’s central administration.
As a Professor of Law, the Associate Dean will also be responsible for teaching one course per long semester beginning with academic year 2021-2022.Minimum Qualifications
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
- Juris Doctor degree from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association.
- Demonstrated history of academic achievements in teaching, scholarship and service at the rank of professor in a law school accredited by the ABA.
- Minimum of seven years full-time experience as a tenure-track/tenured law school faculty member, and sustained accomplishment as a publishing scholar.
- At least three years of program leadership, program development and curriculum development experience at the Dean, Associate Dean or Assistant Dean level of an ABA approved law school.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in mentoring and developing faculty such as peer evaluation of teaching, and research/scholarship mentorship.
- Ability to work under pressure, to adjust to constant changes, to handle multiple tasks and to coordinate the work of others.
- Ability to conceptualize, plan, and organize complex projects.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment.
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion when handling sensitive and confidential matters.
- Knowledge of the operation and culture of academic schools and departments.
- Skills in developing and maintaining good working relationships.
- Ability to foster a culture that is professional, inclusive, collaborative, and positive.
- Ability to communicate the College of Law’s vision and advancement to the outside community.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, communication and managerial skills.
- A leadership style that is collaborative and inclusive.
- Commitment to the goals of the College of Law and its curricular and instructional methods and goals.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.Driving University VehicleNoFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeWork Schedule
Monday – Friday and as required to meet the academic schedule.Posting NumberE024PSpecial Instructions to Applicants
Candidates should submit the following:
•References: Please list contact information for 3 references.
•Writing Sample (optional)
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- * Do you have previous higher education experience?
- * Do you have a minimum of seven years of full-time experience as a tenure-track/tenured law school faculty member and sustained accomplishment as a publishing scholar?
- * Do you have at least three years of program leadership, program development and curriculum development experience at the Dean, Associate Dean or Assistant Dean level for an ABA approved law school?
- Cover Letter
- List of Names and Contact Information for 3 references
- Curriculum Vitae
- Example of Professional Writing
- Sample Publication 1