Job location: Claremont
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-16
Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination Statement In addition to its commitment to a harassment-free educational and working environment, the College is an equal employment opportunity employer. The College is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and complies with all applicable state and federal laws on the matter. The College does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including gender, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition or medical leave, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by law. The College also prohibits the harassment of any employee on any of these bases.Location:Claremont, CAJob Posting Title:Data EngineerJob Details and Requirement:
The Data Engineer will join an energetic and innovative environment within the Information Technology Services Department (ITS), and partner with the Associate Vice President for Strategic Technology, whose responsibility lies in providing leadership on special and strategic information technology initiatives across Claremont McKenna College. The AVP for Strategic Technology’s dedicated focus is on projects of great significance to the College, specifically, those projects that improve the use of technology to elevate our campus, improve campus efficiency, and optimize our work. The Data Engineer will play a key role in these projects by maintaining data integrations, producing actionable data through analysis, visualizations, and outcomes reporting. The successful candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing the College’s data architecture to support our next generation of data initiatives.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Strategic Technology, the incumbent works independently and collaboratively to perform the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Organize reliable and efficient operations of campus data integrations and tools used to implement the integrations
- Lead configuration, management, and access control for SaaS deployments.
- Conduct design architect reviews, gap analysis and assessment when required.
- Develop Interfaces using middleware technologies.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of internal customer business needs, system functionality and business processes.
- Plan, implement, and maintain tools for exchanging data and reporting.
- Design configurations for management and access control for student data and other campus information systems.
- Independently and proactively monitor critical services and take appropriate action to resolve issues.
- Produce dashboards and reports that support operations across the College.
- Create and maintain needed documentation.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Assemble data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes and optimizing data delivery, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using query languages and cloud technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into the colleges operations.
Regular attendance is considered an essential job function; the inability to meet attendance requirements may preclude the employee from retaining employment.
The successful candidate will also be able to perform the following essential functions:
- Take and follow directions.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Receive and respond appropriately to constructive criticism.
- Display a positive attitude.
- Balance multiple tasks and priorities.
- Performs other essential duties and tasks specific to the position.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical field or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
A minimum of 3 years of data engineering experience with increasing responsibility for developing actionable data is required.
- Experience working with relational databases, query authoring as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and/or data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Experience building processes supporting data transformation, data structures, and metadata.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Technical understanding and experience with single sign-on and multi-factor authentication.
- Background knowledge of TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP, SQL, Active Directory, Linux, Bash.
- Dell Boomi Developer or Administrator Certifications
- Workday Developer or Report Writing Certifications
A valid driver’s license or equivalent means of reliable transportation to off-site meetings and events is required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES: Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge skills and abilities.
- Advanced working knowledge of a query language (SQL).
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills to develop and test hypotheses.
- Desire and willingness to keep up with constantly changing cloud offerings by reading widely, attending conferences and networking with other IT professionals.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts in simple terms.
- Demonstrate effective, accurate and clear communication with excellent/strong verbal, written, interpersonal, reading, phone, and customer service skills. Follow all written and verbal instructions, asking questions as needed for clarification of projects/tasks/duties/assignments.
- Prioritize and perform multiple projects/tasks, meet deadlines/timelines, respond to others in a timely manner, and work both independently and as a collaborative member of the College with a high standard of integrity and ethics, in support of the College’s strategic vision and the division’s/department’s annual goals.
REQUIRED HOURS: The regular hours for this full time position are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Overtime, holiday, weekend and evening work hours may be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College. This is a 12 month position.
CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
This is a non-exempt position.
This is a regular, full-time position.
This is a benefits-eligible position.
Required On-site or Remote Personnel Yes
During an emergency, Required On-site or Remote Personnel provide services that relate directly to the health, safety, and welfare of the College, ensure continuity of key operations, and maintain and protect College properties. On-site Personnel are expected to come to work in emergency situations unless they are specifically excused by their departments. On-site Personnel are required to report to Campus to perform required function. Remote personnel can continue operations without physically reporting to campus.
If yes, is this position:
IPEDS Category Job Code: 15-0000 computer and Mathematical Occupations
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Light (up to 20 lbs.)
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
GROOMING AND APPEARANCE:
The Claremont Colleges seek to maintain a neat and professional image at all times.
BACKGROUND CHECK: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a full consumer background check. Certain positions will require the successful completion of a post-offer physical agility test. Employment is contingent on the satisfactory results of the aforementioned, in addition to compliance with requirements cited in this job description.
ADA/OSHA: This job description defines the essential or fundamental job duties of this position. It is assumed that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. Duties and responsibilities can change and develop over time, accordingly the College reviews job description on a periodic basis and may make changes of business necessity.
AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT: Employment with the College is “at-will” meaning that the terms of employment may be changed with or without notice, with or without cause, including, but not limited to termination, demotion, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, duties, and location of work. There is no agreement express or implied between the College and you for continuing or long-term employment. While the College has every hope that employment relationships will be mutually beneficial and rewarding, employees and the College retain the right to terminate the employment relationship at will, at any time, with or without cause. The President is the only person who can modify or alter the at-will employment relationship.Claremont McKenna College hires and promotes individuals on the basis of their qualifications, consistent with applicable state and federal laws, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Inquiries may be directed to the Director for Human Resources, 528 N. Mills Avenue, Claremont, California 91711-4015, (909) 621-8490. All applicants must complete and submit an online application to be considered for an open position.
Employment is contingent upon new employee providing documents verifying U.S. citizenship or, for aliens, documents verifying legal permission to work in the United States, applicant's acceptability for positions requiring use of a college vehicle is contingent upon a driving record acceptable to the College's automobile liability insurance. Promotion from within is encouraged whenever qualified employees of Claremont McKenna College are available. Interested employees of the College are urged to contact the Office of Human Resources if qualified for any open position. Please do not contact departments directly.Disability Accommodations In compliance with applicable laws ensuring equal opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability, CMC will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual (applicant or employee) with a disability if the disability affects the performance of essential job functions, unless the accommodation results in an undue hardship for the College. Employment decisions are based on the merit and not an individual’s disability. An applicant or employee who requires an accommodation should contact the immediate supervisor and the Human Resources Office. If multiple accommodations are identified that do not pose an undue hardship for the College, the selection of an accommodation will be at CMC’s discretion. To request disability accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (909) 621-8490 or [email protected] for assistance.