Posting DetailsJob TitlePostdoctoral FellowDepartmentStatisticsFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberP20117Open Date07/09/2020Close DateBenefits EligibleYesPosition Summary
Rice University’s department of Statistics is dedicated to the advancement of the scientific discipline of statistics, the innovative application of statistics to meet modern scientific, engineering, and societal challenges, the expert education of students in statistics and other disciplines, and statistical leadership in the local, national, and international communities.
Applications are currently being accepted to fill one full-time, 12-month postdoctoral fellow positions (with a maximum of two annual renewals given continued service) at the Department of Statistics in the School of Engineering, Rice University. Research work will be focus on methodology and applications in environmental statistics and statistical epidemiology.
The proposed starting date is August 1, 2020. The postdoctoral fellows will be mentored by faculty members, Kathy Ensor and Dan Kowal at Rice University and Marie Lynn Miranda of Notre Dame University. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Ph.D. or equivalent doctorateMajor/Discipline
Statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, or a related fieldEducation PreferredExperience Required
No experience required.Experience PreferredSkills Required
- Knowledge of statistical software packages such as R, SAS, and Python
- Knowledge of statistical analysis methodology such as regression, multilevel models, and Bayesian methods
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as oral presentation skills
- Organization and time management skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Ability to work independently and professionally with minimal supervision and direction
Regular office environment or remote work environmentSecurity Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Essential Personnel
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/23885Essential Functions
- Researches a general range of topics in environmental and epidemiological statistics
- Develops statistical methodology
- Produces software for reproducible research
- Performs advanced statistical analysis
- Documents, analyzes, and maintains research data
- Publishes and presents research findings
- Provides academic services (ie. teaching classes) to the department as required
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Personal Statement
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Have you completed all the requirements of a PhD or other doctoral degree in statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, or a related field, including defense and final submission of thesis?
- Will have degree conferred before the start of the appointment