Director, Web Technologies
Director, Web Technologies🔍Office of University Communications, Stanford, California, United States📁Information Technology Services📅Aug 27, 2020 Post Date📅87155 Requisition #The Office of University Communications and External Relations is seeking a Director of Web Technologies to lead a dynamic team responsible for developing, continuously enhancing, and maintaining Stanford’s highest impact communications channels, including stanford.edu, news.stanford.edu, and a new internal communication project, among other properties. This role is not only a technology role; it is a strategic role. The Director of Web Technologies will be responsible for implementing a number of ambitious updates to Stanford’s web infrastructure and for developing solutions that support strategic realignment within the Office of University Communications.As Director of Web Technologies, you would be responsible for:
- Collaborating with leadership to set strategy and enhance Stanford’s core communications channels.
- Leading implementation of a new solutions stack to support new features and experiences, with particular emphasis on audience-centric personalization and mobile experiences.
- Managing relationships with a diverse array of stakeholders and external vendors.
- Operating effectively in a multidisciplinary leadership team.
- Providing thought leadership and best practices to campus partners in these areas.
- Engage in long-term strategic planning with regard to web development, with the goal of identifying future needs, means of resolving these needs, possible obstacles, and necessary courses of action.
- Act as project leader on large-scale web projects in which strong technical, directional, and personal leadership is necessary.
- Provide thorough analysis of relevant factors to plan patches, upgrades, and configuration.
- Prototype new user interfaces for web applications and services.
- Develop and deploy web applications that interact with relational database management systems and integrate with Stanford's web, authentication, and authorization infrastructure.
- Develop and deploy dynamic client-side web interface components and collaboration technologies, such as social networks and third party technologies.
- Design and document data structures, architecture, and process flows for websites, web-based applications, and databases. Prepare complex technical documentation.
- Recommend client-specific programming and development strategies.
- Create, review, and audit procedures to implement Stanford security policies and practices, including Restricted Data classifications. Conduct security reviews of applications.
- Recommend, evaluate, and monitor current Internet technologies, web-related programming languages, and software technologies.
- Develop and enforce programming and application design standards, including accessibility standards.
- Other duties as assigned, including occasional work on nights and weekends.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and eight years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven ability to develop a vision for strategic needs and to develop appropriate plans to meet these needs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and work as a member of a development team.
- Ability to identify, clarify and resolve complex problems which may span multiple areas or technical fields.
- Ability to use a proactive approach to problem solving to develop preventive measures.
- Experience using development methodologies, such as Agile / Scrum or Lean, to effectively deliver products that meet or exceed stakeholders’ expectations.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to bridge functional and technical resources by communicating effectively with individuals of varying systems expertise.
- In-depth understanding of internet technologies and protocols.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of development environments.
- Expert programming skills, including the ability to write, compile, test, debug, and deploy software on multiple platforms and web servers.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of authentication technologies and software security concepts.
- Experience with delivering finished sites/applications to clients and responding to their needs for quality control, follow up service, and maintenance.
- Familiarity with browser devices and platform differences and idiosyncrasies, and ability to develop workarounds to accommodate specialized user/client needs and device platforms.
- Ability to manage a team and serve as a team leader.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Strong visual acuity.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4874
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: L
- Requisition ID: 87155